Fridge power

curtisjmwc1

Reaction score
I searched around for this question, so I hope I'm not duplicating anything on the forum:  I just bought a 25' R series (RBR) 2550 brand new, with a 250HP Merc Verado and I'm in love.  It drives like a Mercedes SUV.  Here's what I can't figure out:  There are 2 AC power cords on the boat.  They're both near the factory-installed fridge.  One retracts behind the helm seat, and one is tucked away in a cubby behind the fridge.  There's a marine battery charger in that same area, that I think charges a 3rd battery on the boat dedicated to the fridge and water pump for freshwater.  I can't figure out what the 2 cords are for?  Obviously one powers the battery charger, I guess the alternator doesn't charge that one.  Why would you need a 2nd AC cord?  If it's for the fridge, shouldn't that just run off the battery, which is getting charged anyway on shore power?  ANy thoughts would be greatly appreciated!

Dealers really should know the boats well enough to teach the new owners all the features of their new boat.  I'll bet the salesman didn't know there are 2 plugs.

Curtis...don't sweat it if there are questions. Ask away!

The plug that recesses into the bar area behind the helm seat is the battery charger power cord. The battery charger is mounted to the wall of the cabinet right next to the refrigerator. Plug that in, the battery charger will light up for you to confirm that is what that plug is doing. The other plug laying the cabinet next to the refrigerator is for the refrigerator itself. It can run 120V or 12V. Plug in that cord and the refrigerator will be running on 120, and not pulling from the house battery. 

On my refrigerator, I removed the plug (it just pulls out of the back of the fridge) and store it in one of the door pockets, as I don't see myself ever using the unit plugged in to 120.

When my boat is not being used, I leave the refrigerator on and the charger plugged in all the time.That keeps the fridge cold and ready to go.

One thing to be cautious of (ask me how I know)...if you leave the refrigerator on, pulling from the battery, and the charger not connected... too long, the fridge will pull the battery to a state of dead that it won't take a charge anymore. And that house battery is an expensive little bugger.

I have nearly a full year under my belt, and I still find little widgety this-n-thats that the boat has that I didn't know about. If you find something, post and ask...I may already know about that one. If you find something and I don't know about it yet, you're doing us both a favor...  Cheers! Happy boating and AWESOME BOAT!

I just re-read your post and some information that you didn't specifically ask but I thought I'd share just in case...

You are correct, the fridge battery is not charged by the alternator. It is only charged from the charger which has to be plugged in. 

You mention 3 batteries...that's awesome. Hopefully you found the master battery switch, which on my boat is behind the rear captains char at the back of the boat. There's a square upholstered area covered by a cover that snaps in place. The battery switch is back there. You should have a switch that will do Batt1, Batt2 or combine. There is also a fuse block back there for all of your accessories. 

I don't have that setup yet - I'm adding it when I get the motivation. It's a great feature to have 2 batteries for starting the motor, and powering the stereo and electronics.

When my boat is not being used, I leave the refrigerator on and the charger plugged in all the time.That keeps the fridge cold and ready to go.

One thing to be cautious of (ask me how I know)...if you leave the refrigerator on, pulling from the battery, and the charger not connected... too long, the fridge will pull the battery to a state of dead that it won't take a charge anymore. And that house battery is an expensive little bugger.
JeffS,

I generally do the same thing by leaving the refrig on and plug the charger in, but only when I know I am going to use the refrigerator in the next few days.  If it is multiple weeks, I unplug that charger.  Have you seen any negatives from doing it for longer periods of non-use (multiple weeks)?   

I trailer my boat generally everywhere and my storage shed has power right next to the charger.  If I know I can have it cold even after a couple weeks of non-use, I'll plug that sucker in all the time this year   :)

Thanks

I turned my fridge off last winter. Other than that.. I don't turn it off. That's just me though.

Also on mine the dealer hooked up 1 red & 1 black lead from the charger to the battery. The charger would not work. This is a 2 bank or 2 battery charger & will only work if both sets of leads are connected to the battery. I talked to the charger manuf to learn this.  Hook both blacks up to the negative post & both reds up to the positive post & the charger will work just fine. Sounds like you have the answers on the 2 pwr cords. I spoke to the fridge manuf & was advised that the fridge could stay on all the time if you have 110 volts.

Back