Front Bimini

Audiophobe

Reaction score
Hi,
Getting a used 24 footer this spring and noticed the to only covers about half of yhe boat.
I asked about a second top install and it doesn't come cheap.
Just looking for input from anyone who has experience with it.
Are you happy with it? Use it? Always up? Stable? Problem at full throttle with wind resistance?
Thanks for any input.

On our old 2015 we ordered from the dealer, OEM, for the front bimini, the old owner for some reason lost it or something. Were we happy with it? Yes, the TX sun can be brutal. It was not cheap either. We used it every time we went out in the summer months. It was very stable. It did let the wind catch a little more but these boats are big sails anyways sitting up on the water instead of in the water with the current. We did not go WOT with the front bimini but cruised just fine with it up. Even held up in a wind and hail storm we got caught in. And protected us from the hail. When we ordered our new boat we ordered it with the front bimini because always used it in the summer.

We could have went with a canvas shop but since we had the arch we thought best to go with OEM.

Hi,
Getting a used 24 footer this spring and noticed the to only covers about half of yhe boat.
Are you happy with it? Use it? Always up? Stable? Problem at full throttle with wind resistance?
Thanks for any input.
Any Bimini ,installed at the factory or after market is going to have a maximum speed rating .

On our old 2015 we ordered from the dealer, OEM, for the front bimini, the old owner for some reason lost it or something. Were we happy with it? Yes, the TX sun can be brutal. It was not cheap either. We used it every time we went out in the summer months. It was very stable. It did let the wind catch a little more but these boats are big sails anyways sitting up on the water instead of in the water with the current. We did not go WOT with the front bimini but cruised just fine with it up. Even held up in a wind and hail storm we got caught in. And protected us from the hail. When we ordered our new boat we ordered it with the front bimini because always used it in the summer.

We could have went with a canvas shop but since we had the arch we thought best to go with OEM.

Any Bimini ,installed at the factory or after market is going to have a maximum speed rating .
Approx what speed?
Are they easy to put up and retract?
Thanks

Speed is " usually " in the 30 's . But it varies by type .
I have a curved ,yes it's easy. Motorized is also an available option on curved .
If you are asking about just the front Bimini , I do not have one . My answers are for the standard Bimini only .

I would assume that the speed would be similar but hit sure,.
If i go for it I can ask the installer too.

I would assume that the speed would be similar but hit sure,.
If i go for it I can ask the installer too.
Check with installer. There’ll be a MPH limit I’m sure. I think mine is like +/- 35mph with my curved rear power bimini, but honestly we don’t keep it up past about 25 as it just seems to be too much even then.

For Benningtons, as you can see in my signature I have always had Q's, all with the cladded arch. For the rear bimini, I've had no issue at any speed and one was even towed with the bimini up/out. Forward bimini is where the speed is watched. I keep it under 35 mph. Yes both are not bad to put up or down once you get used to it.

I have the double standard bimini - LOVE it, it stays up most of the summer when using frequently. Other than high noon, we still only get 50% coverage given sun angle - hystarical to watch people switch sides as the boat twists in the breeze (unless we drop the second box anchor). We also have the cable stays, which dramactically improves the speed capabilities. I added pictures of the speed rating tag on the Bimini (up to 30), then the speed specs with Cable Stays (over 30). I am often doing 40 to 45mph - never an issue.

Attachments

• Bimini Cable Stays Speed Note Over 30.JPG
    Bimini Cable Stays Speed Note Over 30.JPG
    56.9 KB · Views: 17
  • 2021-07-04 09.48.10 Bimini Speed.jpg
    2021-07-04 09.48.10 Bimini Speed.jpg
    113.1 KB · Views: 17
  • Bimini Cable Stays.jpg
    Bimini Cable Stays.jpg
    145.1 KB · Views: 17
I'm going for the front Bimini.
Thanks for all the input! It truly helped do much.
Next decision:
The floor is textured vinyl with no carpet.
Also pricey but I'm going to wait on that for now.

Hi,
Thanks for any input.
We just lost our front Bimini from our 24 footer and ordered a new one after one trip. They are not cheap and take about 2 months to get one made. Check various dealers. We called the dealer the boat was purchased from and he quoted over $1,000 and our local deal was $600.
Have it shipped as close to home as you can or it goes to the dealer and you will need to pick it up.
We ordered out at the end of February and it’s projected to ship April 23rd.

Wow - that is a great price IMO. My dealer quoted over $5k to add a front one and cover / zipper for the back (this two canvas covers).

I agree.
I'm getting mine done for $1300 and that was after bargaining which I was told was at cost because I'm buying the boat from them.

Back