Front Gate Keeps Opening At Bottom on Rough Water

keever

Reaction score
Hi, have a 2023 Bennington 22 SXSR, and on rough water (Lake of the Ozarks), my front gate keeps opening at the bottom side opposite the hinge as it must be bouncing up high enough. Any suggestions or mods to keep it completely closed in rough water? Thanks

Attachments

• 20230709_155904.jpg
    20230709_155904.jpg
    149.8 KB · Views: 17
  • 20230709_155907.jpg
    20230709_155907.jpg
    155 KB · Views: 17
Tiny Velcro button? Magnet? Need two because it’s aluminum.

Wow, I’m not on LOTO but I’ve seen my share of choppy water and never experienced that. Does the door appear to be properly seated when closed?

Another thought is, increase friction on the hinge. Two methods.
Pour just little bit of sand into hinge (if grains are too big, smash with them with hammer) or you could pinch hinge with pliers, the tiniest of bends works. Me personally, I would do grit technique, as it’s reversible but requires a reapplication from time to time.
Over time I bet it gets stiffer, I have to lube mine to keep it smooth.

Hmm, how about drilling a hole through the door frame and the fence frame and inserting a pin?

Attachments

• IMG_1199.jpeg
    IMG_1199.jpeg
    85.8 KB · Views: 6
A velcro strap would hold it . Or a ball bungee cord .

Looking closer at the pic ,the gate is not fully seated into the stop. If you don't mind drilling you could raise the stop. Perhaps there is a stop available that the inside wall is taller?

Looking closer at the pic ,the gate is not fully seated into the stop. If you don't mind drilling you could raise the stop. Perhaps there is a stop available that the inside wall is taller?
Gate is definitely down all the way and it's even with the rail at the top left corner of the gate. I'm surprised at the gap between the bottom of the gate when seated and the stop, but that seems to be how all of the newer Benningtob 22's are. I have thought about just shimming underneath the gate with a piece of rubber or similar to raise the inside wall up.

A velcro strap would hold it . Or a ball bungee cord .
Thought about Velcro strap, just not sure there is anywhere to run it through/around on the boat fencing (gate had a nice opening, but fencing goes all the way up).

I have a 2022 ,the bow gate seats all the way down . On my 2013 ,the stern gate had a web strap with snaps, if you don't mind drilling 2 holes for the snaps

Put a shim under the door stop and it would make it high enough to NOT come out when the water is rough. But you would still be able to open it when needed! I've also used a velcro strap that Jack mentioned above.....

Back