Frustrated with Bennington

I highly doubt that the outboard upgrade is coming from Bennington. Could be wrong, but my money is on the Dealer getting another motor from their Mercury Distributor. Haven't seen details on the other upgrades, other than a mention of seat inserts - here too, be cautious about blame. Often Dealers, to save on shipping charges from Indiana, will request that Bennington deliver those items with the next boat delivery. In other words your wait could be the result of your Dealer pinching pennies.

I highly doubt that the outboard upgrade is coming from Bennington. Could be wrong, but my money is on the Dealer getting another motor from their Mercury Distributor. Haven't seen details on the other upgrades, other than a mention of seat inserts - here too, be cautious about blame. Often Dealers, to save on shipping charges from Indiana, will request that Bennington deliver those items with the next boat delivery. In other words your wait could be the result of your Dealer pinching pennies.
I agree 100% .

It is coming from mercury they are back logged right now

The things I got upgraded were a front boarding ladder, third pontoon so express tube, peremiter led lighting, dual batteries, front and rear seat inserts, I'm trying to have them throw in a 3d fish finder for the delays

It is coming from mercury they are back logged right now

The things I got upgraded were a front boarding ladder, third pontoon so express tube, peremiter led lighting, dual batteries, front and rear seat inserts, I'm trying to have them throw in a 3d fish finder for the delays
Ah, yes, the center tube addition would take a while just to ship it. They tend to put it on another load of boats where one of them is a 2 tube version.

Remember that the dealer must get the engine through Bennington to take advantage of their volume price discounts. Any dealer that has to order the same motor through Mercury's normal distribution channels has to pay more wholesale for the motor.

I'm surprised that any outboard motor model is in short supply. Because the boat business, excluding pontoons/tritoons, still has not recovered from marginal economic times of the past 4 years. It's hard to be successful in the marine business if the manufacturer's not willing to step up and build the motors.

Bear in mind that companies cut way back during the crash and now demand is exceeding supply. I think a lot of companies are playing it smart within extended lead times, vs. loading up with new employees only to have another crash and go through it all again. Heck, Bennington could hire a bunch of people and bang out toons in a couple days, but imagine the quality of those ....... I think the extended lead times are a necessary evil.

Last edited by a moderator:
I figure if Extreme Home Makeover can build a massive beautiful house in 7 days, it shouldn't take that long for my boat!!! Haha just kidding, it could take 40 weeks and I'd probably still be okay for my 3 week season!! Haha

Back