Frustrating weekend on the Benny - Looking for some answers!

TwoTone

Reaction score
Somewhere in Cabo... or Central Oregon...
Well we're 12 weeks into our new 22SSX and just shy of 80 hours on the motor...

We've loved our time on the boat but this weekend was a challenge and I'm hoping for some answers here on direction to take...

First off, we doscovered today that the port side toon has taken in water...

While backing up to the pump this afternoon the attendant noticed (heard) the splashing inside the pontoon...

We double and tripled checked to make sure it wasn't the fuel tank - 3 different sets of ears...

We live in Redmond and the dealer is in Medford - 4 hours away...

Second issue was/is really strange...

I'm kicking myself in the butt for not video taping this because I'm sure everyone here's going to think I'm nuts...

So here goes anyways - I'm at the gas station and it's 95 degrees out...

The boat has been out of the water for about 2 hours...

She's a 22SSX with a 90HP Merc...

Fuel tank is 26 gallons and she has 1/4 of tank in 'er belly...

Put the nozzle in, pull the trigger and gas flies everywhere...

Pull the nozzle out and the space between the back splash door and the top on the filler/cap is full of fuel and IT'S BOILING...

Yes I said BOILING...

Less that a 1/4 of a gallon went in the tank...

No matter what I tried I couldn't get gas to go into the tank...

Two different people told me that the vent valve was either closed or blocked but I couldn't find it for the life of me...

So my questions are:

Bad weld on the toon to allow water?

Concern level I should have?

Warranty item - is my fuel cost covered for the road trip drive to the dealer?

Bizzare fuel issue - Anyone ever heard of something like this?

Thanks in advance for your ear and input...

Signed - Totally frustrated in Oregon...

Mike & Hillary

PS: If this is simple stuff please forgive - we're both new to boating :)

Mike,

Sorry to hear about your issues. First and foremost you have purchased the best brand in the market, and you should feel safe knowing they will do everything possible to rectify your issues. First, contact your dealer and they will direct you to the next step.

The leaking toon is not a common issue, but it has happened. Even though they are pressure tested, for whatever reason, they may develop a leak that did not show up during the test. Could have been a thin spot where the weld was ok, but during shipping, flexing, bumping around, etc... the spot opened up. Note, this MAY be able to be fixed locally by a qualified welding shop that can find the leaking spot. This needs to be discussed with your dealer first though !!!

As for the fuel issue, depending on the tank style, the vent line may have a kink, or bend in it so it acts like a sink "p-trap". This is typically a simple fix of adjusting the hose. I don't think your fuel was boiling, but more like :bubbling" from air trying to vent back out. Again, this is not a common issue, but if you search on the forum, it is a issue that has cropped up previously.

Again, these are issues that can be remedied, but the first step MUST BE contacting your dealer.

Smitty

Mike & Hillary this is a bad start but most certainly is not the end. The water in the toon will be taken care of, unfortunately I doubt if it will cover your gas or time. I have to believe SemperFi is correct on the kink in the fuel line, you should be able to straighten it out yourself

TwoTone,

You are not alone, last year our brand new Bennington 2012 22SSI started leaning to the right after 3 days in the water! We had water in the Starboard tube. Small area on the rear end cap was not welded. (so much for factory pressure test) The dealer sent it to a local welding shop that drill a hole in the lower back of the tube, drained the water out and welded both areas up! No big deal and all is good! As far as the fuel problem many reports on this subject with Benningtons that have side/rear fueling. Our last pontoon was a 2006 Bennington 2275 I/O with center tube fuel tank it was a pain to fuel, always wanted to spit fuel back at you. Learned to fuel slowly and it help to turn the fuel nozzel upside down. I think they don't vent well with the long run of hose to the fuel tank! Check for kinked/plugged vent hose!

Good Luck

RiverBill

I fueled our 22 sslx for the first time at the pump while on the trailer and no issues. I went slower than I would with my car based on the vent issues I've read here but all is good. Good luck getting yours taken care of, it will all be good soon

Back