Fuel consumption with a Mercury 150

BuckeyeTim

Reaction score
We have a G2375 with a Mercury 150 HP.  I am curious if anyone else has tracked how many gallons of fuel they burn with this set up.  Over the weekend, we had 6 adults plus 2 coolers on board, and burnt between 6 1/2 and 7 gallons of fuel per hour. Some cruising around 20, but yes I was on the gas cruising upper 20's alot too. Is this normal fuel consumption?

Also, what is the maximum speed others can cruise with this motor on this Bennington?  Lucky to hit 32 mph here.

Thanks

We have a Merc 150 also.  When we first got it, it was just hubby and I and nothing on the boat other than a soda.  The fastest we could go was just over 36mph.  With the double bimini top up and the boat loaded up with equipment and the 3 dogs, the fastest was just over 33mph.  So that seems to be about right.  The fuel consumption also seems about right if you like going WOT most of time.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have the Yamaha 150 on a 24' SSRX and can get up to 33mph with a lot of stuff on it.  

With the gsr2250 and a yamaha 150 we hit right at 39-40 depending on how rough the lake is.  But normally it's just me and the wife and all our crap for the day on the lake (cooler - beach towels - floaties for the sandbar - food/snacks).  

I look at fuel consumption on our 150 like the whole "how big of a motor do I really need" debate.....if you want to go fast it costs money.  Sure we can run close to 40 if we really need to get off the lake because of storms or otherwise but in reality with just the 2 of us we normally just channel cruise or putt putt around the lake at 18-20 (right at 3K rpm which seems to be the sweet spot for us)

Last year we burnt $465 in fuel but in that time we put 110 hours on the motor.  Fuel was at the cheapest of 3.27 but ran most of the summer at 3.50-3.60.....highest was 3.99 when the other marina ran out of fuel (some price gouging maybe :ph34r: :ph34r: ).  With those figures it looks like it costs us roughly 4.50 for every engine hour we put on the boat......that includes wide open and channel cruising thrown together as an average for the year. 

Back