Fuel gauge ??

ronfl

Reaction score
I arrive at the marina today with family in tow to enjoy a day out on Lake Champlain in the 93*+ heat. I knew when I arrived I needed to gas up my boat before we headed out. When I started the boat I noticed the gas gauge spiking to the F side of the gauge. I knew the tank was around 1/4 because when we returned the other night that's where it was. Not sure where to start looking for the problem. What usually causes the gauge to spike past F? Sending unit or gauge problem?

Last edited by a moderator:
Ron, most all gauges, gas, oil press., etc. work off resistance to ground. When a gauge goes to full or max out it is usually getting a full ground somewhere. Start looking. Steve

+1 on the ground. Check for a pinched wire or something metal laying on top of the fuel sender.

Ron,

Some fuel gauges peg with a open wire to the sender. So you might want to look for a un-pluged, broken or loose wire.

RiverBill

Well, today when we went out the gauge worked fine!

Speaking of fuel gauges, has anyone noticed they can't get their fuel gauge to register on FULL?

I've got a 24 gallon tank on my 2007 2574GL and can't get it much past 3/4 despite filling the plastic tank practically to that skinny little filler tube.

I can deal with it, just not thrilled with the design of this fuel system.

Randy

Haven't had a problem with our 2007 2275rl. When I fill the tank it reads full. You might try checking the connections at the tank (wiring), and the guage.It works on a resistance and if you have a bad or loose connection you'll have a false reading. You can check tthe guage by connecting the terminals at the top of the sender and it should read full.

My 2275 RL fueling system is a pain in the A** also! They take forever filling them up. I find it hard to believe they can't make the fueling up process better. Have to hold the filler nozzle upside down and trickle it in unless you want a gas bath!

Speaking of fuel gauges, has anyone noticed they can't get their fuel gauge to register on FULL?

I've got a 24 gallon tank on my 2007 2574GL and can't get it much past 3/4 despite filling the plastic tank practically to that skinny little filler tube.

I can deal with it, just not thrilled with the design of this fuel system.

Randy

Ron, if fueling is a problem, check out 'fueling you Bennie' on page 2 of the pontoon forum.

Yes, there have been a few boats out there with the fuel hoses improperly routed.

So far most members have been able to re-route them quickly and easily.

However, if you are not able to do so, by all means take it to your dealer and get it fixed.

That's what the warranty is for ;)

My boat is a 2004 2275 RL and I doubt there going to fix the fueling issue under warrenty? I looked for the fueling post but can't seem to find it? You indacated page 2 of the pontoon forum?

Ron, if fueling is a problem, check out 'fueling you Bennie' on page 2 of the pontoon forum.

Yes, there have been a few boats out there with the fuel hoses improperly routed.

So far most members have been able to re-route them quickly and easily.

However, if you are not able to do so, by all means take it to your dealer and get it fixed.

That's what the warranty is for ;)

Found the post!

My boat is a 2004 2275 RL and I doubt there going to fix the fueling issue under warrenty? I looked for the fueling post but can't seem to find it? You indacated page 2 of the pontoon forum?

I also have a 2004 2275RL. I don't have any problems filling up my tank as long as the fuel hose doesn't break in two at the pump................

Glad you found it Ron, as for the warranty, if you are the original owner, i believe it has a 10yr. bow to stern warranty. That's what the new ones come with anyway.

What the heck, it's worth a call to the dealer to find out.

Glad you found it Ron, as for the warranty, if you are the original owner, i believe it has a 10yr. bow to stern warranty. That's what the new ones come with anyway.

What the heck, it's worth a call to the dealer to find out.
10 year warranty???

Not the original owner.... The best way to get gas in is slowly and put the filler in upside down. Any faster you get a bath..

Brain Fart. B)

Not the original owner.... The best way to get gas in is slowly and put the filler in upside down. Any faster you get a bath..
Your boat is the same as ours. Make sure the vent hose is straight. Cut a little off if you have to to make sure it doesn't have a bow in it.

I have a new 2275 GCW. The fuel guage reads full but when the needle goes down to empty only 13 gallons can be pumped. Any thoughts? I've filled it 4-5 times now with the same result. I'm going to install a new sending unit which brings me to another question. The plugs have a "clip" for the lack of a better term that needs to be removed in order to pull the leads out. I'm not having any luck and my patience is at it's end. Can I just cut the wires from the plugs and connect the wires directly?

Back