fuel guage

guardrail22

Reaction score
I have had new guage and new sending unit put it (did both myself) and still no fuel level showing on guage.

The latest sending unit is a Bennington OEM (tube with floating donut on it, not swing arm type).

I'm guess next stop is to either bypass all the wiring with a pair of test leads or ring it out with VOM looking for no power in the circuit or open ground somewhere.

Any ideas?

I'm guessing open ground somewhere if you have no reading on gauge.

+1 on the ground. Have you bench tested either or both sending units? Sometimes you get unlucky and your replacement is bad. Or it could be the gauge that is the culprit.

Is there +12v at the guage? If so, connect a ground to the sender side of the guage and it should go to full.

Well there is definitely something open in circuit. Ran a signal and ground accroos the changing room floor and under helm and guage works. Will have to pull boat out to run down the wire problem.

Question. Do these boats use floating groung, meaning the frame is not part of the grounding system?

Easy way to check, look under helm and see if there is a common ground bus bar. I don't remember on mine, but my last boat did. I don't "think" they use the frame as part of system. See where your negative battery wire goes.

The frame or any part of the boat should not be grounded. so the answer is no.

It's not raining by you? Pouring here.

Well I ran a pair of wired from the new guage to the new sending units bypassing the wiring harness and the guage works. So other than black and yellow wire laying on the floor we got it fixed.

Whn I can get it out of the water Ill trace down pink and black and see whats going on.

Back