FUEL OPTIONS

Roland

Reaction score
Hello guys... I have one of those " what would you do questions". Of course this all centers around gas and ethanol. Finding ethanol free fuel around here is getting harder and harder to do.. I have 3 options.... what say you?

option 1.... I have located a station about 45 minutes from my home that sells ethanol free fuel in all 3 grades, 87, 89 and 93... however as far as the manufacturer, it's simply called "unbranded ".. I have no idea if that means it's a substandard fuel with little or no additives or what? Just don't know.. I only use 2 or 3 tanks a season so while driving 45 minutes each way may not be my favorite thing to do, it's still better than buying ethanol tainted fuel.. but I worry about the unbranded thing.

Option 2. Much closer to home, there is a Citgo station about 30 minutes from me that sells ethanol free fuel, but only in their 93 octane... concerns here: first I read somewhere that I shouldn't burn 93 in my motor simply because it burns hotter and could lead to more carbon build up, also, from what I've read Citgo is not "considered" an upper tier fuel.. should that be a concern of mine...

Option 3.. just go down the street like I always have and buy either texaco / shell / big name brand gas that is 10% ethanol and treat it with stabil marine or startron.

2 other question, I'm not mechanically inclined, but can you change out fuel lines if the toon has a full tank of gas? and what grade of fuel do you run in your boats.. owners manual says "no less" than 86, but I've read that if fuel sits awhile it loses a point or two in octane so it might be advisable to go with either 89 or so..btw, my motor is a yamaha 75 4 stroke. I know it's a lot of questions, but I thought it would be best to bug you all at once instead of coming back with question after question for several days... thanks in advance for you input...

Roland

My response is the same as before, just run the 87 octane with ethanol and use the yamaha fuel stabilizer and conditioner. I don't have any idea about the fuel line. I run 87 with ethanol in my 200hp SHO Yamaha, with yamaha fuel stabilizer and conditioner, it's what the company recommends and saves me 10 cents per liter in a 208L tank, good deal.

Derrick

Rowland, I've been buying ethanol free 89 for all the small motors ( mower,Pressure washer, blower etc.) and I've been putting it in the boat. It's $.50 more a gallon but I don't have to worry about it going bad and collecting water. In the past I've never had a problem with e-10 that's been treated in the boat, but had a problem with the pressure washer. The gas by the house is unbranded and have never had a problem with it.

Has anyone had any experience with Valvtect fuel? I notice that this is sold by some marinas on Lake of the Ozarks as well as many other lakes in the US

It has all required additives in it already and you don't need to add any additional.

We used regular pump 87 octane w/ethanol (no additives) in our first Bennington 2006 2275 GL IO 5.0L FI Volvo for 6 years with no problem. We currently use 87 octane w/ethanol in our 2012 22SSI w/150 Mercury four stroke and have no problems. Boat is used all year so the fuel never sits very long! I was always told it's better to store with a full tanks of fuel (less moisture) and use fuel additive if your going to let the boat sit for more than 2 months!

I think you are safe with the 87 octane ethanol fuel, today's fuel injected engines run so clean. Moisture (water) in the fuel is main issue with ethanol, so use the fuel often and enjoy your boat!

My 2 cents (40 years mechanic & USMC Fleet Manager retired)

RiverBill

Roland:

We can easily find 100% gasoline @ 92 octane, but 87 octane is most often 90/10. Paying the $.40 bounty for high test would be cheaper than driving 45 minutes to find 100% 87 octane.

Just be glad your Louisiana boating season is relatively long, and your winter is short. Just go with the 90/10 gasoline with an additive, and your Yammie will start fine come March. Then, you'll probably be running your boat weekly during the rest of the boating year.

I would NOT drive 1.5 hours to buy what I could accomplish with E10 and an additive.

Now, if the ethanol content goes higher...... that's a new ball game.

I will throw my 10 cents in (inflation)

I run the 10% ethonal in my 2012 75hp Mercury hasnt had a problem with around 70 hours on it as we speak, Mercury also states that you can go ahead and run the E15 if needed, thought I would give this a try next year E15 is 90 octane.

Motor is set up to run this fuel from factory

Last edited by a moderator:
I will throw my 10 cents in (inflation)

I run the 10% ethonal in my 2012 75hp Mercury hasnt had a problem with around 70 hours on it as we speak, Mercury also states that you can go ahead and run the E15 if needed, thought I would give this a try next year E15 is 90 octane.

Motor is set up to run this fuel from factory
I have a 2013  Merc 90 4 stroke  ,it has a" NO E-15 "sticker on it 

Excerpt from  West Marine article .http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/WestAdvisorView?langId=-1&storeId=11151&page=Gasoline-Ethanol-Your-Boat#.UoTGzSFAJf0

15 % ethanol (E15) approved but in limbo

In 2010 the Environmental Protection Agency approved a 50% increase in the maximum amount of ethanol that can be sold at your local gas station (increased from 10% to 15% of the gasoline). E15, the new formulation, is only approved for 2007 and newer cars and trucks (so-called Flex-Fuel vehicles). However, more than two years later the rollout of E15 has been delayed by multiple lawsuits from the marine, auto, oil and small engine industries.

My lake has just one set of gas pumps, and they charge $1.00 more per gallon than gas in town.  And for $1 a gallon, I'll gladly carry a couple of Jerry cans down to my boathouse.

I run 90/10 gasoline throughout the Summer, as we turnover our fuel promptly.  The problem with 90/10 is when you let it age, as that's when acids attack anything made of rubber in your fuel system.  The newer motors are engineered to handle 90/10.  

I picked up enough 100% gasoline to fill the tank for the winter @ 20 cents higher per gallon for 87 octane.  I'm also putting RingFree Plus in the fuel tank.

Unless you live in a high pollution area like California, New York or other places in the Northeast, I think you could find 100% gasoline if you looked hard enough.  And like was said 40 cents per gallon upcharge to 100% 91 octane is cheaper than driving a long distance just to buy 100% gas.

Here is the link to find ethanol free gas  in any state .

http://pure-gas.org/index.jsp?stateprov=TN

The marina where I keep ours is $2.50-$3.00 higher a gallon ,mainly because it is an inland lake and they know you are stuck unless you want to carry.

I carry and its roughly 50 cents higher than ethanol a gallon.

Last edited by a moderator:
I also have a 90 hp mercury 4 stroke and states not to use e-15.I run e-10 ,87 octane always and use startron fuel stabilizer 1 oz per 10 gallons as recommended by dealer.

Back