Fuel Tank / Gas Gauge

Shawn

Reaction score
We have a 2011 24SLI and I just got gas for the first time this season. The gauge read about 1/2 full - maybe just a touch over 1/2 before the fill up. When I filled up I put in 18.5 gallons - I can't recall the size of the tank, however, I thought it was 24 gallon. Seems like the gas gauge may not be accurate. I will say that the last couple times out I have had to tap on it to get it to register. It will sometimes get "stuck" on a full reading.

Anybody else have this issue? Assuming it's a 24 gallon tank the 1/2 full reading was false. Not sure if it's a faulty gauge, design of the tank, or what.

Shawn

Hi Shawn, as has been mentioned before, boat fuel gauges are not as accurate as your cars gauge, in part due to a boat being bow up while in the water, and level when on a trailer or lift.

So, half tank will be different depending on where the boat is when you check it. Most boat owners just get a 'feel' for it after a couple of fill ups.

As for the gauge, tapping on it to get a reading, well that's a problem you need to get your dealer to look into, as it should be covered under warranty.

Hope this helps!

Shawn, did you ever figure out your gas gauge problem? I'm having a similar issue. Bob

My experience has been my guage is very accurate. It's tank tilt that throws the reading off. I have a 24 SSL with express package. It rides bow high, so the gas tank tilts up in front (it's in the motor pod). The fuel sender is in the back of the tank, so I have to burn 5 or 6 gallons just to get the needle to move off full (the back of the tank stays "full" due to the tank being tilted back, even though it's 5 or 6 gallons from full).

In my experience, the 1/2 full mark is really about 8 gallons left (in the 24 gallon tank), which is very close to your numbers. My first few times out I was amazed at how little gas my 115 was using! Turns out that wasn't the case.

Be warned though, that last 1/4th tank goes fast. 1/8th tank means you only have a gallon or two. I BARELY made it back to the dock one time. The guage hit E a mile from the dock. I put 24.5 gallons in the 24 gallon tank the next day! I had been running on fumes. The 2 inch gas line probably holds a gallon of gas. The tank capacity may have been off some too, but either way, I was lucky to make it back.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have an unexplained fuel level issue as well. I have a 2013 24 SSLX which says it has a 21.4 gal. capacity. The tank was full when I took delivery so I didn't know what it took originally.

Each time I get down to "E" on the gauge and when I fill up... it only takes 15 gals.?

I have "sweated" before thinking I was going to run out of gas... as someone else stated 1/4 to empty seems to go super quick!

So I siphoned my tank dry and went to the gas station, it took 21.3 gals. to fill it. This seems like a very inaccurate sending unit... any way to adjust these?

Thanks 

Maybe it is a built in "reserve". Otherwise people would run it to E, think they have some left and get stranded. Then I come along and have to spend time towing them to the dock! I have the 32 gallon tank on my 24 sslx but as I fill it in 5 gallon increments I've never tested the true capacity.

Or back pressure is shutting off the fuel pump.  Have you filled it to the point you can see gas in the fuel neck?

Be careful. Once I thought there was gas in the tube but liquid came out.....

Yup, be careful.  I should have said it differently - I can put about 5 gallons of gas in my boat after the gas station pump shuts off the first time.  You just have to go slow.  My marina will not add one drop more after the pump shuts off.  They don't want to get any in the water, or on the side of the boat.  Just saying this might explain your missing 5-6 gallons...

Back