Fuel Vent - GSR 2250

BPMyers

Reaction score
Hi  - hopeful someone can assist with a quick response or point me to another post with similar issue. I've read through a bunch but can't find the specific answer or location.

Bought a 2016 GSR2250 with Yamaha 115 in August 2016.

Ran great and in September/October I noticed a stalling issue at high RPM. At the time thought maybe had some gunky gas since later in the season and had been a few weeks between running it.

Had boat Winterized and serviced, Spring launch in May with all systems clear. Has run great until this weekend, experiencing same stalling issue.

Started with high RPM but now even low RPM it has issues, and only after I've run it for awhile (so its a build up effect). I've deduced that this is a fuel venting issue for reasons listed below, and the dealership agreed and said to have it serviced, but the dealership can't get to me for another 3-4 weeks at my dock, which could basically end up blowing my August (not good or acceptable).

Original Symptoms and Data Points:

• when engine stalls the primer bulb sucked in vacuum. when not starved for gas, the engine runs GREAT
  • when in vacuum...if release water filter upstream, the vacuum releases so tells me further upstream
  • replaced the water filter anyway
  • dealer guy said sometimes the anti syphon  valve gets gunked up and that I can actually take that out
  • unscrewed the valve assembly and didn't even have to pull the anti syphon, because i noticed the entire Tank is actually depressed, and when i removed the valve assembly, the tank started pulling in air to stabilize. tells me now its further upstream and possibly a fuel vent issue (read this as well in some other posts)
  • dealer says try running without the cap to isolate that as maybe the issue, but as of this morning couldn't tell me where a secondary vent might by located (maybe there is a dead fish blocking it - who knows!!)

My Questions -

1) Does anyone know if there is a secondary fuel vent (or just located in the cap itself), and if so where it is located? 

2) Worst case I suppose one of my options is to setup a quick aux tank to get me through the rest of the summer - I think i can squeeze a 5-10 gallon tank in the rear compartment. I have not looked into that option but assume I can just buy a ready to go assembly (or gas tank), disconnect the line ahead of the anti-syphon valve and connect to a new tank? Are there any negatives to this issue from a system performance perspective? Like sensors in the prime tank that communicate with the engine? Am I overlooking the fuel pump requirement (not sure where located)? Anything else?

Many many many thanks in advance to any and all feedback!!

I am having a venting problem also and have been unable to find out if there is a secondary vent anywhere. I have a 2012 20SL with a 70F Yamaha engine, first time I carried it out this year it ran about 10 to 15 minutes and just died. Got it home and replaced the fuel line with primer bulb and primed it from a 5 gallon gas can then hooked it back to boat and it ran fine in the driveway for about 15 minutes, shut it off and restarted 3 or 4 times and it done fine. We went to the lake the next weekend, put it in the water and it ran about 5 minutes and died again, would not pull fuel from the tank no matter how much you squeezed the primer bulb, unscrewed the fuel/water separator and it was bone dry. Got it home and and took the line loose and put it in 5 gallon can again and primed it up and it cranked up. Hooked line back to boat tank and it ran fine in driveway. For some reason when it sits a few days obviously all the fuel drains back to the tank and will not prime back up. I have been told by a couple of boat dealers that the vent must be stopped up but nobody seems to know where it is located. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

My understanding is the cap is supposed to also be the vent. Having a similar venting issue and am awaiting a new cap.

Don’t know if this has any bearing but I’ll throw it out there. I lost my gas cap, don’t ask me how. While I was waiting for a new cap to come from my dealor I stuffed a rag where the cap should go. Worked fine for just over a week until replaced with a cap, family was in town I think I put 4 hrs on it.

There must be some help out there from someone who knows fuel systems as this seems puzzling. Wonder if it has anything to do with the new fuel systems and also they all seem to be Yamaha's and wondering if there is any connection with either?

The fuel system (tank, fill etc.) comes with the boat. Hang any motor and you have the same fuel system. Our new Explorer doesn't have a fuel cap and came with a long skinny funnel if you have to add gas from a can.

My understanding is the cap is supposed to also be the vent. Having a similar venting issue and am awaiting a new cap.

We figured out that our issue wasn't the cap (evidently, it's sealed when properly closed and not supposed to vent), but rather a fuel system vent line screen that was clogged (and in the end, pretty to access and clean). I didn't want to hijack this thread further as it may not be the same issue as the original poster's problem. However, I have created a new thread on our findings and solution to our problem. Please read the details here:

http://club.benningtonmarine.com/th...ncorrect-fuel-reading-motor-to-shut-off.9266/

Back