Garage door sizing

Corkboy54

Reaction score
Ahoy you tooners. Looks like I'll be on the water in the next few weeks.  Cannot wait.  Here is a question for all of you who store your own boat over the winter months.  What opening do you have for your garage door to be able to back your toon on the trailer into your garage without issues?  I have a 2250 RCL.  I do not have any towers..just the regular bimini top.  I will be building a new garage and am stumped at finding a god source on what the garage door height should be.  Any sugestions from you experts out there who have run into all kinds of problems over the years. Looking forward to hearing from you all.  Thanks much.

Tom

We rent a storage unit to store our boat indoors. Its a 12x40 with a 17' tall door. We usually open it to 14' when backing it in. My trailer may be different than yours, and that would make a big difference. Best bet, measure twice, build once. But for guesstimating, 14'.

Our boats are very similar.  Mine is stored inside a large building with 10' high overhead doors.  The bimini in the down trailering position just clears the top of the door frame.  Some additional clearance could be had with the bimini laying all the way down on the rails.  Not sure this helps much since the trailer bunk height is also a factor and can vary considerably.

If I was building a new storage building for my boat the overhead doors would be at least 12' high.

Last edited by a moderator:
I want to pull in and out of a storage facility with the top fully up. No fiddling for me. My boat sits on a bunk trailer with 12" wheels and measures just over 12' tall with the top up.

When I spec'ed out my barn, I was sure to put a 16' wide by 13' tall door on one end and a 12' wide 13' high door on the other.

I can pull right through with the top up. But that's me.

Concrete to the top of my tower is about 12'6", so If I ever stumble across $60G to build a storage shop, it will have a 14' high by 20' wide door. My trailer has 14" wheels so that makes a difference.

16'x45' garage with a 17' door. More than a big enough toy box for now. :)

I think it is less about a garage for storage and more if you go under any bridges. I love the look of the tower and arch but with some of the places I go I just can't have one which sucks.

16'x45' garage with a 17' door. More than a big enough toy box for now. :)

I think it is less about a garage for storage and more if you go under any bridges. I love the look of the tower and arch but with some of the places I go I just can't have one which sucks.

You now can get an arch with  tilt .Sport Arch Cladded with Tilt - No Speakers (NEW) CLADDED ARCH WITH GAS POWERED ASSIST AND NO SPEAKER/SOUND SYSTEM UPGRADE

http://www.benningtonmarine.com/Boat-Builder.php?id=817

$8,529

Way cool!!  I didn't see that one.  Any pictures anyone has seen?

I like their boat builder, but hate it as well.  :)   I wish I could see a full matrix of all options and all models.  It would be one heck of a large matrix table, but very useful. 

I doubt I can convince the wife of swapping (yet)!!  :)    Oh the PADS!!

Thanks for all the input.  Looks like a minimum of 14'.  Since I do not have the trailer yet it was hard for me to determine an actual height (concrete to windshield).  This is a great start.  If anymore of you have comments...let 'em rip as you all have a different story with different obstacles you've overcome.  Better to learn from someone who has encountered it than on your own.  Thanks again!

Tom

We take our boat on a ferry in Canada.  It is important to be under 8'6".  With the Bimini in trailing position and no poles in the mooring cover we are just over 8' tall.  I have a Hoosier trailer with 10" tires.  Your clearance all depends on the trailer setup.  

MIne is on 14" tires. I have to let the bimini all the way down and lay my seat back to get into my 10' door. Keep in mind that your sidewall will typicall be 2' higher than the door.

I have a few photos of my garage in the gallery section.  Front door is 12 foot wide,  10 foot high.  On a Yacht Club trailer with 12 inch tires.  

I doubt this would have an impact with 14ft high doors but with my 9ft it does. I have a small incline up to the level garage floor so until the wheels get on the concrete the boat is shooting up towards the raised overhead door. I must stop midway and put a different receiver on that raises the trailer tongue above the bumper, until the boat levels out.

Lay some scrap 2x4s down to make a small ramp and back over them. With your truck, not the trailer. Maybe you won't have to change receivers....

Or some bricks...

I doubt this would have an impact with 14ft high doors but with my 9ft it does. I have a small incline up to the level garage floor so until the wheels get on the concrete the boat is shooting up towards the raised overhead door. I must stop midway and put a different receiver on that raises the trailer tongue above the bumper, until the boat levels out.
Changing receivers mid-backing up sounds like a huge pain in the you know what!!   Cudo's for figuring it out!!!  

Back