Garage questions and help needed

Me be a sliding door? That way you can go 18x10.

That would be great but the city would never go for it. I also had the Department of public works out to take a look as there is a storm drain that runs near where I wanted to put the garage. Long story short the set back and size I want to build is now too big for the area so it might not work out after all. I guess the good news is I don't have a boat sitting out this year and the other toys are tucked away in the in-laws garage.

Hey Andy, I haven't measured this one, but it should be the same as my last which was 33' 6" or so from ball to prop. I'm looking at a 30w x 45L with I'm thinking an 18 x 14 tall door. My boat with tower is 12'6" so 14' is the way to go for me. I did do some measurements on my old on, it was 56" from the top of the deck to the top of the bimini in trailering position, and 62" from ground to the top of the deck so 9'10" total height. I had originally looked at 30x40, but figured the extra 5' would give a little better room for angling the boat into the corners and leave room for walking around it. 

The 14' door only open the full way if you unhook the automatic opener its about 13' actual opening of the door. I will try and take a snap shot of it and post We bought an old farm stead and the former owner was a morton building dealer so we are lucky and have 3 out building here. a 36 x72 and a 30 x40  in addition to the big shop but we have cows and horses also so we still dont have enough storage for everything. but can get all the cars and trucks in when a storm is coming! the house in the middle of the circle drive is our you can see the buildings. We also have a couple of ponds that was the reasons that we bought the place.

Last edited by a moderator:
Calamus,

Thanks for pointing out the obvious on the actual door opening with an opener. It was a "duh" moment for me as I plan what I'm going to need. So it sounds like Derrick's measurement of 9'10" for mine means minimum 12' actual door height for an overhead type door.

Thanks!

They were talking about such structures earlier today on bbcboards.net, which is the bass boat fisherman website.  The guys were talking about sizes of garages and specific costs item by item.  Sign on there and see what they say about costs and building.

It all depends on the building codes of the area with what you can get away with.  The thing with pole barns is that you can put up the basic structure and put down a gravel base.  Then, you can finish it out later to what suits your needs.

There are many companies that put up pole barns for farmers inexpensively.  You can also Google "carports" or go on carport.com and design your own metal carport.  They can be completed at a later for a very reasonable price.

I have 10" high door that I put mine under with no problem on bunk trailer. My pole barn is 32x56 14 high with a14x14 sliding door.

I have 10" high door that I put mine under with no problem on bunk trailer. My pole barn is 32x56 14 high with a14x14 sliding door.
Man that's a short door .... LOL !!!!!

There is a lot of nice garages on there. The remaining utility companies marked the yard and long story short the our gas and water run right under where the garage would go. Damn! The garage seems like a pipe dream now.

Back