Garage size?

BulldogsCadillac

Just some guy
Reaction score
Okay, looks like my parents and I (mostly them, I'm just cheap labor) are taking on a new challenge, they purchased a place close to the lake! So that's great, lots of room to build a garage for storing my 2012 2275RCW. So now I need to figure out how wide and how deep I want to build a garage. Space isn't an issue, but money is. So for starters, how big of a garage door do you think I will need? I ask because I don't have my boat yet, and it isn't on a trailer, so I can't just call my dealer and ask them to measure. Is 10' tall enough? I'm thinking about 35' deep, maybe 14' wide, maybe a bit wider so I can put a little work bench or some storage on the side. The property currently has a little garage suitable for a riding lawnmower and random items, pop's Barley for one, but none of our vehicles fit in it. I wonder if I should look at building a garage with a big door for the boat and a normal one for our trucks. Any architects on here? Haha

My pops keeps talking about putting a loft in it, but I'm pretty sure that opens up a whole slew of issues with exhaust gases and fire stops so don't think that will be in the budget. The 'cottage' is mighty old and a few add ons, but figure once we pay off our current house or vehicle, maybe look at building or getting an RTM and plunking down beside it.

Derrick

Last edited by a moderator:
BC, my storage unit has a 12' door and is 40' deep. Mind you all this info is on a trailer, I have to drop the Bimini to the lowest position to clear the door. I'm fairly certain I would hit if it were 10'. I would bet 35' depth would do just fine. I have plenty of leftover room in my 40'.

Hope this helps.

Just happened to measure my 2275 today - deck length was 23'3", outboard added 2'8" and the pontoons extended 8" forward of front deck - so a total length of 26 feet, 7 inches so 35' depth is good. Dont't know actual height with bimini stowed but regardless make sure you account for any up or down slope of the entrance driveway in figuring the required door height.

I can't add much to this, other than make sure the door can go plenty high to clear the bimini, and make sure the door is quality so it easily goes up all the way. The guys at the marina nearly took the garage door off with my bimini one day when they were backing it in. The bimini was down, but not all the way down (it wasn't open like it would be when you use it). Their garage door sticks a little, and you have to really throw it up to get it to go all the way up.

Hmm, good thoughts. I may just have to wait until my boat and trailer are ready to roll and do a true measurement, it would sure sick to do it all and be off by a couple inches! Thanks all, I'm thinking maybe 20x40 and scrapping the second car idea, just for the sake of money and hey, I can always build another garage if we ever build a new house on the lot.

Derrick

I have been a bit scarce of late and the reason is we are building a toy storage/barndaminium on our lot on the lake. With that said, some things I know for sure. Bimini(a 10 foot one) up makes the boat just a little taller than 12 feet. If I recall correctly, from tip of tongue to rear of prop with motor down is about 33 feet 5 inches(this is a 2275 RCW). I have no idea how tall the boat is with bimini in either of the other two positions.

Ours may be overkill but, we made the doors 14 X 14 so we could bring the boat in with the bimini up if we so desired(it is only about 1/2 mile from the closest ramp).

We added extra space to build a small living quarters in one corner of the barn. We have about 600 square feet allocated for this in the future. We can also choose to build a second story of bunkrooms to double our living space with some spacious sleep quarters upstairs.

One of the main reasons for this type of build was economics. If I have it figured correctly, we are going to come away with an insulated building at a cost of somewhere between 15 and 20 dollars per square foot. Pretty sweet deal if you ask me.

Hope some of this information is helpful.

andy

Last edited by a moderator:
Ohhhhh, that sounds impressive! What are your outside dimensions on that "barndaminium" (love that word by the way)? Are you making out of wood or like those steel type pole shed buildings?

Derrick

This is a steel on steel kind of building. Building size is 60 X 80 X 16. We put in three big doors. One in the east end, one on the north side in the northwest corner, and one on the south side of the southwest corner.

I am no engineer but, this design and type of building seemed to satisfy my wants and needs at the time.

It has been quite a project so far. We have the building itself almost completed. There will still be plenty left to do in the future as we are now ready to wire it and then move into the next phase of bulding the apartment area in the corner. Wiring will happen soon but, the apartment may have to wait until funds can be gathered.

andy

Back