Garmin 95

Boomers dad

Reaction score
I have the Garmin 95 or 96 whatever. The less expensive Garmin unit that Bennington uses. I have noticed that it does not seem to keep up with changes in the depth of the lake. I can be traveling through aresa where I know the depth changes and it will read the same. Once I stop the boat then it will reset to the proper depth. It is almost like it's stuck. This makes it pretty worthless when traveling in unfamiliar areas. I have tried differant settings and it does not seem to make a differance. Anyone else having this problem? Thought I would check here before I take it to the dealer.

I have exactly the same experience. The only time it will keep reading accurately is when I am going very slow (basically no-wake speed). Once I start moving (about anything over 2000 rpm) it just stays stuck at the last reading. (But it does seem to read accurately when I am slowed or stopped). I guess it works for me since I only care about depth when close to shore and am going slow anyway.

Had the same experience with mine this weekend on Lake Texoma. I will tell you it does make a difference. We were scooting along at a good clip headed in to Cedar Mills Marina. Something didn't seem right so I slowed down. Looked at the depth finder and it was flashing plenty deep so I realized the reading wasn't accurate. About that time we hit a sand bar under water. Not enough to hurt anything just enough to scare everone. A little shallower and it could have been a bad thing. I shut it down, raised the motor and checked everything out. All good, so we pushed it a few feet and were back in deep enough water.

To shorten a long story, I reached down to the transducer. Fiddled with it and it clicked down to the bottom notch. The rest of the day, it never flashed and stayed accurate even at high speed. You guys might try to see if your transducer is clicked into the proper position.

Good luck

andy

Thanks Andy, I'll check that out.

Same issue here, but I know the adjustment could be the issue just haven't messed with it yet. Mine is good up to about 20 mph before loosing good reading, I noticed water depth affects it as well, in deeper water it looses its good reading at slower speed than in shallower water.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have the Garmin 95 or 96 whatever. The less expensive Garmin unit that Bennington uses. I have noticed that it does not seem to keep up with changes in the depth of the lake. I can be traveling through aresa where I know the depth changes and it will read the same. Once I stop the boat then it will reset to the proper depth. It is almost like it's stuck. This makes it pretty worthless when traveling in unfamiliar areas. I have tried differant settings and it does not seem to make a differance. Anyone else having this problem? Thought I would check here before I take it to the dealer.
I have the same hunk of junk Garmin 95. Last weekend just for the heck of it I tied my pontoon up to the dock and the lake was dead calm. No one was in the boat,no wind like I said Dead Calm and my depth finder was going up and down from 4.2 feet to 5.7 feet all by it's self. The numbers were just scailing up and down non stop. If it has fish finding ability my lake must not have one fish in it. All I can assume is that the water temp reading may be correct. I was telling my cousin who purchased a 2009 R series Benny that I just purchased a new Benny. He also loves his as much as I love mine. He said the only thing on his Benny that is not worth a crap is the Garmin 95 and asked me if I was having trouble with mine. Yes I am. My question is why would a great boat builder like Bennington bother to install a hunk of junk into a quality boat and think it's OK. It's Not...Charge more and put in quality or offer nothing at all.

Yep I have to agree with you 100%. I will be looking at mine this week end to see if I can replace it. My biggest problem is the underskinning. I know someone on here replaced theirs with a 431s but I really don't want that one either. I do fish out of mine and would like a Humminbird, I guess the new models will have a Echo 100. Maybe that will be better but I doubt it.

I'm in "the same boat"! I want to replace my WWI Garmin 95 with a newer model. I'm still digging through all of the posts (on this site and others), trying to see if anyone has confirmed whether or not the existing transducer can be used... I'm looking at the 531s Sounder model... I know the first recommendation is "to call your dealer", but unless this is brain surgery, I'd rather save 8 million dollars and do it myself... I believe I've read the existing console mounting will need to be enlarged... Anyone out there going to "do it yourself"!?!?! Maybe we could have a virtual class/shop on this one!?!?

I believe I've read the existing console mounting will need to be enlarged... Anyone out there going to "do it yourself"!?!?! Maybe we could have a virtual class/shop on this one!?!?
I did it myself. Go to post #8 in the following thread.

Garmin 95 replacement

(Not for the feint of heart though)

BTW, here's the link to a printable flush mount template to check your console. The unit comes with this template printed on contact paper allowing you to stick it firmly to the console surface while you make the cut-out.

4oo series flush mount template

Flush Mount kit instructions (Note the flush mount kit does NOT come standard with the unit.)

400/500 series owners manual

Garmin says to use a jig saw to cut the opening. I found a Dremel tool with circular plastic cutting blade to work perfect as it gave a smooth cut and very good control.

I primarily use mine as a fishfinder and have found the Garmins to be severly inadequate. I was looking to replace my Garnin 95 with a Humminbird or Lowrance with down imaging. Since this units are much larger and I have underskinning to deal with when changing the transducer, I will probably end up with a portable unit with trolling motor mounted transducer and leave my Garmin in the dash to cover the hole. :( I like to fish in luxury B)

Hey Steve, or any of you with underskin, if you can get a transducer with enough wire on it, i think you could run your wiring just under the outside rail and across the back. It would be tight getting wire anchors up there, but i think it can be done. Then the only snakeing would be from the helm boot to the outside rail, again, tight quarters but doable. Just something i was looking at while floating around under my toon :D

Yeah I have looked at that also. The fishfinders come with 17' of cable and you can get an extension cord, so that should work. My biggest concern is the fish finders with down imaging technology are typically 2" larger in each direction. I don't believe they will fit in the helm and look good. I will probably either buy a portable model or mount it somewhere else on the boat. I just hate altering the looks of a beautiful boat.

Back