Gas, gas, gas, does the season matter (marine talk)

Gatlinman

Reaction score
Ok ladies and Gents,

City slickers may or may not worry about this (sorry, I’m in the sticks).

GAS.

Yep. Particularly, that gas that is sitting at your local marine. The good stuff they call it! Water and all! I am in the sticks of Western Carolina and just scored a beautiful boat slip, 2 slips away from gas heaven. You read that right kitty, two measly slips away!

But, the season has been dead here for a minute. Mosquitoes are dying in mid air. ( edited ) why?

Why is it that I don’t trust that beautiful pump? The technical question is this…is there degradation at the pump between seasons for marine gas? We basically go from maximum traffic to no traffic at the end of October.

I feel reluctant to be the first one up to the pump getting my ration of flat gas.

Am I crazy? (Don’t answer that) Is there a legitimate argument to this, or is it moot?

Cheers!

Last edited:
Ok ladies and Gents,

GAS.

Yep. Particularly, that gas that is sitting at your local marine. The good stuff they call it! Water and all! I am in the sticks of Western Carolina and just scored a beautiful boat slip, 2 slips away from gas heaven. You read that right kitty, two measly slips away!

But, the season has been dead here for a minute. Mosquitoes are dying in mid air ( edited)

Why is it that I don’t trust that beautiful pump? The technical question is this…is there degradation at the pump between seasons for marine gas? We basically go from maximum traffic to no traffic at the end of October.

I feel reluctant to be the first one up to the pump getting my ration of flat gas.

Am I crazy? (Don’t answer that) Is there a legitimate argument to this, or is it moot?

Cheers!
As long as it's ethanol free you should be okay! Do you need gas now? Will it sit in your tank or will you burn it quickly? What is your alternative? Lugging 5 gallon gas cans to your slip? Not fun! Being 2 slips away will that hose reach your tank? And finally.....What lake are you on in the sticks of W. Carolina?!?

Last edited by a moderator:
The slip is also 40 feet from where I park, so getting gas there is an alternative @BigKahuna. I’d do that too.

My dad once told me that good air, good oil and good fuel are the life of a engine. Perhaps I’ll wait until the season starts up pretty good before taking that ration of gas!

The slip is also 40 feet from where I park, so getting gas there is an alternative @BigKahuna. I’d do that too.

My dad once told me that good air, good oil and good fuel are the life of a engine. Perhaps I’ll wait until the season starts up pretty good before taking that ration of gas!
I see "Gatlin" in your name. You near Gatlinburg? That's right you said W. Carolina. You on Fontana? We just rode that train in Bryson City....

Ok ladies and Gents,

GAS.

But, the season has been dead here for a minute. Mosquitoes are dying in mid air. ( edited ) why?

Cheers!
I always store my boat 24LSB with full 34 gallons at the end of season, then the first comers to the pump get the stale gas then I follow :cool:

I see "Gatlin" in your name. You near Gatlinburg? That's right you said W. Carolina. You on Fontana? We just rode that train in Bryson City....
What a beautiful lake! Definitely the sticks on that one. We’re currently at James. Thank you @Dewzee1, are you adding any type of fuel treatment?

What a beautiful lake! Definitely the sticks on that one. We’re currently at James. Thank you @Dewzee1, are you adding any type of fuel treatment?
Lake James? I thought you meant you were way out west like around Cherokee or somewhere. You're only 1.5 hrs. west of us on Lake Norman.

@BigKahuna well, if you’re on Norman, you are pretty close to everything big and you’ll likely not worry about fuel issues due to the winter.
Before we took our boat out of the water and to the dealership for warranty work we added Stabil to the fuel tank and let it circulate throughout the entire fuel system. On the way to the dealership we topped off with ethanol free fuel and added more Stabil to keep it fresh until spring time. We won't need fuel until next spring/summer.

Those were my thoughts as well @BigKahuna. Ya know, I’d think less of it If I knew that I’d use it all up right away. Last time we were out we used a whopping 4 gallons as we just lazily moved along at a blistering 10 or so MPH. That is a good tip on putting the Stabil in prior to the winter. I had not thought of that

Back