Gauges Not Accurate or Not Working on 22' 2003

ChefJim51

Reaction score
Hello, I am new to lake boating with a pontoon and looking for some good advice; if I missed any info about my questions, I apologize.

I bought a lake house complete with a 2003 22' boat, Evinrude 90, trailer, pier, etc. 3 years ago. The gauges were not very accurate and look to be original; I replaced the depth indicator complete last season and that is working great. This year, the trim gauge barely moves, the tach moves when starting then pegs out; the fuel gauge is reasonably close still and I do not know if the voltmeter is accurate, as it reads 14 volts all the time when running.

I would like to get the tach and trim gauges working again accurately but do not know where to start.

Also, the throttle is very touchy and I can go from idle to half speed just by barely moving the throttle.

Any advice is appreciated!

The throttle should have a tension adjustment .

The gauges ,if you would like to replace them ,you might be able to find them at Great Lake Skipper .

Thank you. I am wondering if the gauges themselves are worn out due to age, or could there be other issues? I will start checking into replacement gauges and search for a tension adjustment article as well.

Another thing to look at is what ever is sending the the signal to the gauge - For example, the fuel tank has a sending unit to show fuel level, if the sending unit has problems, the gauge readout will not be accurate. You can check voltage with a multi meter - I'm new to boats but it is common in cars to get about 14V while running because the alternator puts out enough "extra" voltage to charge the battery (same for a battery charger)

Back