General Maintenance Questions (new boat owner)

TexasMustang

Reaction score
Just bought my first boat (2008 2275rl with Yamaha F150)

The seller has had it serviced every spring, but it has not been done for 2021 yet. I do the maintenance/repairs on my cars and know my way around a (car) engine. Boats are something different..... :)

1. Yahmaha calls for 10w30 - I use Mobil 1 in all my cars. Do I need special Marine oil or can I put Mobil 1 in the boat? If I need special oil are all marine brands comparable - I see Yamaha sells M4 but it's pricy..... But of course what I'll buy if needed.

2. Draining the oil. I watched youtube video on doing oil change on outboards. It has a drain plug but the guy on youtube said it's better to pump it out from the dipstick because it won't all drain. I'm skeptical - Drain oil from the plug or use a pump from the dipstick?

3. Air filter - outboards don't have one?

4. Oil, Lower unit oil, spark plugs, fuel filter and water separator. Anything else that I should be dong to the engine on an annual or semi - annual basis?

5. Nearest authorized Yamaha dealer is an hour from home - best website to order parts from?

1. NMMA certified oil will help maintain a marine engine and preserve any remaining warranty. I'm just saying this in general, since I don't think your 2008 will have any warranty on it, unless it's a newer repower.

2. I think using the drain plug would be sufficient, but more insight may be found at marine outboard forums/websites.

3. No air filter.

4. There are some maintenance items that need inspections (and probable replacement) at certain intervals, such as the water pump impeller and thermostat:

Screenshot_20210323-064930.png

Be sure to get the owners/maintenance manual for your specific engine model and year, as things may differ from the synopsis that I just posted.

Just as with automotive self-maintenance: keep every receipt and a log book of what maintenance was performed and when it was done.

Safe and Happy boating!

Back