Getting new Bennington in water and in use

Fenwayaddict

Reaction score
Good afternoon. This is my first post as a new member. I've just purchased a 2017 25' QCW and am super excited about getting it in the water the next few days. It is our family's first Bennington and first boat. Buying from a reputable dealer that will attend to the detailing and maintenance of the boat prior to delivery as well as title and registration.

Would be interested in any advice or suggestions on key considerations in taking delivery and getting it in the water. I've looked into insurance, life jackets, etc ... just looking to make sure I don't miss anything important.

Thanks in advance !!

First of all congratulations! You will love the boat! We also have a 25' QCW. Please share a few other details such as color and engine hp as well as pics. We love to see pictures. You will find this forum a very helpful place especially for first time boat owners.

Per your request, some other key considerations: Anchor (There are many types of anchors and the one you chose depends on where you boat and what type of bottom the body of water has.), dock lines to tie the boat up to the dock, fenders to protect the boat when docked, possible fender clips to hold the anchors instead of tying them each time (Taylor, EZ Fenders are good brands), first aid kit, check with your state about requirements beyond life jackets such as a noise making device, throw-able buoy, etc.. We like to keep a small bin on board with things like extra sun block, sunglasses, paper towels, garbage bags, hand sanitizer, phone charging cords (someone always forgets their's), and baseball caps.

When considering life jackets make sure to have a few of every size. We prefer the neoprene life jackets as they are more comfortable. Sam's and Costco always sell these at a good price at this time of year.

You might also consider any water toys such as skies, wake board, tube, toe line, and/or lilly pad.

I would also recommend taking a boater safety course. You can find them online or your state may offer them free of charge.

Enjoy your first season.

Last edited:
Welcome to the group. I think you’ll find you made a good decisions buying a Bennington. Sjhorner9475 made some great recommendations. This is a great group to ask any of your boating questions to. Lastly, post those pictures.

Congratulations!! If you don‘t have boating experience, unless you have some good mentors to spend significant time with you until you get comfortable and the safety basics become second nature you may want to consider taking a course. Just like RVs, things will happen. You just want to make sure the mishaps are minor. The most stressful part for new boaters is typically around the docks and launch ramp. Take it slow and deliberate and have fun!!

Welcome ! We all have our different needs as you get on the water you will come up with the things you realize you need,and some ideas to make things better and last but not least you will do some stupid things and ask your self Why did I do that. So enjoy!

Most important is safety. Make sure all passengers understand, your boat, your rules.
oh and congrats!! Also no pics, not true ....:D:D

Congratulations!! If you don‘t have boating experience, unless you have some good mentors to spend significant time with you until you get comfortable and the safety basics become second nature you may want to consider taking a course. Just like RVs, things will happen. You just want to make sure the mishaps are minor. The most stressful part for new boaters is typically around the docks and launch ramp. Take it slow and deliberate and have fun!!

Exactly concerning around the docks, we purchased a boat hook and let me tell you, life changing!! I had a runabout for years and they are much more maneuverable than a pontoon, especially when you are sideways to the wind!!! it will be frustrating at first, practice, practice, and practice some more.

I tell you what i tell myself the first day with a new boat. “ Don’t mess up the new boat on the first day”. I repeat that over and over again replacing “mess up” with an R rated word.

Congratulations! Nice high end first boat! I just upgraded from a 2013 22SLX express tube tritoon with Yamaha 115 hp to a low hour (29.5 hr!) 2017 22 SSRCXP with SPS performance tritoon and a Yamaha 150 and loaded with most every option including power assist electronic steering!. Only downside is previous owner must have been inexperienced as he added some pontoon scrapes and dents, painted area in fence has a few dings, etc. It looks gorgeous from 20 feet away and I won't be as anal if I bump something as it already has the first bumps and bruises (and I got a good deal!!!) Beats paying $70k for a perfect new (almost identical) boat that *will* get some kind of bump on first windy day when even the best skipper can get in trouble trying to dock or load on trailer that we do on west coast rivers and reservoirs around Portland,Oregon. I did add loading guide posts on trailer to make it easier.

Last edited:
Back