GLUE

Captmisket

Reaction score
The plastic strip at bottom of console at the helm has detached. What glue should I use to secure it back? Thanks.

Well,
Plastics are funny animals. There's so many variations in Polymers and the rest of the chemical makeup that it's really hard to advise just glue/adhesive would end up bing the most successful. Not seeing any pictures of what's involved, if it were me, there's at least 2-3 that will mote than likey do the trick for you. The first thing you need to do is prep the area. Alcohol is great for this. If needed, and glossy surfaces do need it, tape off the area that's to be glued and then get out some maybe 320 sand paper and just lightly go over the area to be glued to rough up the surface slightly. Then re-wipe with alcohol at least twice. Now, I've used pure clear exterior Silicone for things like this several times and not once has any joint I've done that way, failed. A second option is Super Glue Gel. The Gel type of super glue takes a bit longer to setup but the end result is great. And the final option I've used more than a few times is Gorilla Construction Adhesive. You can get it at Lowes, Home Depot etc.

Again, roughing up the slippery surfaces is key and so is wiping things down with alcohol. CLEAN is the name of the game here when you want a lasting glue joint. Good luck.
Scott

If it's still under warranty, let the dealer fix it . It could be an adhesive that possibly is removable if something else has to be removed . For example ,the wood grain panel on my helm came loose on my 2014 and had I used something permanent and a gage, radio or gps needed to be replaced that wood panel isn't coming off.

Same thing happened on my boat about three years ago. I used E6000. Worked great and still holding strong.

Back