GoPro HERO

Jack M

Reaction score
Thinking about buying one of these .

I don't know anything about them .

Last time I bought a video recorder it took a VHS tape .

Amazon has few different ones .

Any suggestions ?

Thanks .

I think the black edition is the newest. TomS has one so he is probably the expert on here for more info. I'd love to get one but funds going to other things right now.

There are several generations 1, 2, 3, 3+ and then various "Editions". I have the last one, Hero 3 Black Edition which includes the wifi remote and highest resolution at the time. They've replaced it with a smaller one the 3+. They make money on all the mounting accessories so just make sure they all fit the generation you buy. Also, the memory card compatibility is really important as they are very high speed required. The 3+ Black goes all the way to 4k resolution which I can't imagine is needed for most things. 3+ Silver edition is 1080p but doesn't include the wifi remote for $100 less. Their site has a pretty good compare function so take a look and ask questions and I'll try to respond intelligently ;-)

There are several generations 1, 2, 3, 3+ and then various "Editions". I have the last one, Hero 3 Black Edition which includes the wifi remote and highest resolution at the time. They've replaced it with a smaller one the 3+. They make money on all the mounting accessories so just make sure they all fit the generation you buy. Also, the memory card compatibility is really important as they are very high speed required. The 3+ Black goes all the way to 4k resolution which I can't imagine is needed for most things. 3+ Silver edition is 1080p but doesn't include the wifi remote for $100 less. Their site has a pretty good compare function so take a look and ask questions and I'll try to respond intelligently ;-)
I haven't been to their site yet .You mentioned a "wifi" remote ,so that would mean unless you have wifi on your boat the remote will not work ,correct ?

Our marina operator provides wifi in our slip but I don't believe it goes past the docks .

I haven't been to their site yet .You mentioned a "wifi" remote ,so that would mean unless you have wifi on your boat the remote will not work ,correct ?

Our marina operator provides wifi in our slip but I don't believe it goes past the docks .
No, not necessary. The camera actually creates its own little wifi network. The GoPro remote, your cell phone, ipad, basically any wifi device can control and view the camera that way. I use my iPhone to preview what the camera is looking at when on the boat. Wifi on the camera sucks power like there is no tomorrow so I generally leave it turned off if possible.

Thanks ,Tom .

I just went to their site .

I like that "roll bar mount "

I can see it mounted on top of my arch now .

Time to go talk to the boss ,tell her I want to spend some of our tax refund.  :lol:

I used the small RAM ball mount to put it on my pylon and it works very well.

I also have one of the 3rd party suction cup mounts that is terrific. There are MANY accessories that are both more durable/functional than GoPro's and less expensive, so be sure to look at those and read various review ratings. It helped me a lot and saved $$$. Whatever you do, ALWAYS use a tether of some sort!

Thanks again Tom.

Working on the boss now .

Tom you just gave me an idea for lining up the toon on the trailer. Grab the iPad throw the Go Pro under the front with a stcky and walla a visual of where your toons are!

Just got the OK ,

Ordered the 3+ Black .Be here Tuesday .

Last edited by a moderator:
Gotta love toys !!!!

How did you sell it to the boss? Mine is keeping real firm on we don't need one. How much is plasma selling for these days?

How did you sell it to the boss? Mine is keeping real firm on we don't need one. How much is plasma selling for these days?
Bought her a new Ipod touch. :p

How much is plasma selling for these days?

Glass of OJ and a cookie .

I bought a Hero 3 Black on this past Black Friday for $250. It's been great and it's the one I would recommend. The higher video comes with other features including higher res still pictures. I would have bought the 3+ (I think they are the same size, it's the protective case that's smaller now) but I'm using mine mostly for aerial photography on one of my RC models and the 3 plus has autofocus issues when used that way.

I used the small RAM ball mount to put it on my pylon and it works very well.

I also have one of the 3rd party suction cup mounts that is terrific. There are MANY accessories that are both more durable/functional than GoPro's and less expensive, so be sure to look at those and read various review ratings. It helped me a lot and saved $$$. Whatever you do, ALWAYS use a tether of some sort!
Tom ,have you been purchasing your accessories on line ?

If so which site ?

Thanks 

Depending what you are looking for check B&H Photo out of NY. Good prices, fast shipping.

Adorama has some good deals now and then.

Also Amazon Warehouse Deals. I've bought lots from them. Most items are just returns that can't be sold as new due to box damage. Oh yeah check Cowboom.com too.

My Benny dealer sold me the GoPro at a nice discount, so I did buy as many genuine GoPro accessories from them locally as I could (tethers, stick on mounts, etc). Most everything else aftermarket was Amazon. Here are a few Amazon items I bought that were nice:

Roll Bar Mount

Suction Cup Mount

Batteries and Charger

Memory Card

How do you start one of those online donation things? That might be my best bet as the wife won't budge. She did go for the new boat and larger motor so I guess we can't have it all. Enjoy your gopro's guys. I'll be patiently waiting to watch your videos...

Back