GPS Speedometer

HawkTX

Reaction score
Quick question.  I noticed the last few times I've gone out my GPS speedometer would take a few minutes to cut on and show the speed and direction.  One time it took over 5 mins before it started working.  One time it didn't come on at all and I cut the engine and turned it back on and it came on.  Is this normal?  I got under my dash and everything appears to be plugged in fine, but I did notice they did not mount this, which I think is my GPS antenna.  It was just free hanging.

412271324.jpg

412271325.jpg

I would think this would be normal; there is always a lag time to acquire enough satelites to locate you.  And without the GPS antenna you would never acquire a position so you must be wired up somewhere.

Mine takes some time to lock in as well.

When I first read these posts I was thinking that something was wrong with the unit as my GPS kicks in as soon as it is turned on

When I first read these posts I was thinking that something was wrong with the unit as my GPS kicks in as soon as it is turned on
And your GPS is outside the helm.

Orientation aside. It will take time to acquirer the sats. I would think it would help if it were double sided taped to the highest part of the helm and away for any instrumentation that might cause interference. Especially speaker wires and power cables.

Back