Grill

Butchkid

Reaction score
I just got a Magma Grill for my 2575 QCW and I was trying to figure out the best place to put it on the Pontoon. I got the Catalina model which is slightly larger than the Newport by about 3 inches each direction. I have the I/O Pontoon so mounting it on a pedastal on the swim platform is what the dealer at the boat show suggested. I was a little uncomfortable with that. I would want it on the opposite side of the ladder which puts it next to the flag, and behind the aft facing lounge that raises up for the privacy enclosure. Accessing the engine compartment would also raise the back and risk hitting the grill.

If you have a grill, where do you have it mounted?

How long do those little propane bottles last?

Do you have to store those little bottles in anything special?

Do you store the grill on the Pontoon?

Any tips on grilling while on the water?

I CAN'T wait to get on the water!

I am not familiar with the magma grill, however I have a springfield grill. I have a 2275 Gcw that I plan on rail mounting behind the drivers seat. It will hangover the water. The space is a little limited back there but if I turn the captain chair 90 degrees it works fine. In my old boat I had the same grill with the pedestal mount. I am with you on not putting it on the swim deck. The little propane bottles last several burgers and hotdogs type cookouts. I do store the grill on the boat. I put mine in the in floor storage. I usually keep propane at home and bring it with me for the day on the lake. As far as grilling, sometimes it is windy so I keep the flame at least on medium so the flame will stay lit. Make sure grill has cooled before storing. Hope this helps.

I have a "Kumma" grill purchased from West Marine. The rail mounting device did not work for me - not sure how it would work for anyone without 3 or 4 hands! So I purchased a V-Lock device to mount it on the starboard front rail next to a oval fishing station and chair both of which I can use when grilling. Putting it anywhere is the rear half of my boat would not be functional since it always seems to be crowded with people, furniture, and toys. It is mounted centered on the railing and angled 45 degrees so the propane attachment point is over the water. Hope I have attached the pictures properly.

Has anyone heard of or tried the Cobb Grill. It looks alittle on the small side. They claim sides and bottom will stay cool. Ant thoughts.

Nice job. Where did you get the "V-lock" device?

I have a "Kumma" grill purchased from West Marine. The rail mounting device did not work for me - not sure how it would work for anyone without 3 or 4 hands! So I purchased a V-Lock device to mount it on the starboard front rail next to a oval fishing station and chair both of which I can use when grilling. Putting it anywhere is the rear half of my boat would not be functional since it always seems to be crowded with people, furniture, and toys. It is mounted centered on the railing and angled 45 degrees so the propane attachment point is over the water. Hope I have attached the pictures properly.

Randy - Some guy in Florida invented them - his website is www.V-Lock.com. They are sort of pricey, but it works exactly like I wanted it to - easy and secure. Now that I have the base unit with its pontoon rail adapter, I can move it around to anywhere on the boat I want to put it.

Frank Friar

Randy - Some guy in Florida invented them - his website is www.V-Lock.com. They are sort of pricey, but it works exactly like I wanted it to - easy and secure. Now that I have the base unit with its pontoon rail adapter, I can move it around to anywhere on the boat I want to put it.

Frank Friar
Thanks, Frank, that's just what I am looking for. You da man!

Hello, Bennington Club members, Mike from V-Lock here.

I am glad that you like the V-Lock and I have a request.

I need pictures of people using the V-Lock on pontoon boats for an upcoming article on the Pontoon $ Deck Boat magazine website.

In exchange I am offering everyone on this site a 10% discount on all orders to the end of the month (through 3/31/2012).

Just enter Bennington at checkout to get 10% off.

There is a square rail kit available developed specifically for pontoon boats.

Mike

V-Lock

V-Lock_Hero_tiny.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
I just got a Magma Grill for my 2575 QCW and I was trying to figure out the best place to put it on the Pontoon. I got the Catalina model which is slightly larger than the Newport by about 3 inches each direction. I have the I/O Pontoon so mounting it on a pedastal on the swim platform is what the dealer at the boat show suggested. I was a little uncomfortable with that. I would want it on the opposite side of the ladder which puts it next to the flag, and behind the aft facing lounge that raises up for the privacy enclosure. Accessing the engine compartment would also raise the back and risk hitting the grill.

If you have a grill, where do you have it mounted?

How long do those little propane bottles last?

Do you have to store those little bottles in anything special?

Do you store the grill on the Pontoon?

Any tips on grilling while on the water?

I CAN'T wait to get on the water!
Maybe this can help. There is approximately 93,000 BTU in 1 gallon of LP (propane). LP weighs about 4.25lb. per gallon. So... there is approximately 21,560 BTU per lb. Take your BTU rating of your LP appliance, grill etc. Say the grill is 10,000 BTU, then you would get about 2 hours plus from 1 gallon and the small disposable tanks are approximately 14-18 oz. So drawing 10,000 Btu from one constantly you would get a little over 2 hour. Grill being 5,000 BTU, you would go 4 hours, etc. Heavy draw would lessen vaporization rate. Hope this helps. (P.S. Just saw where your model is 12,500 BTU, so about 2-4 hrs solid burning.) Gerry

Last edited by a moderator:
Back