Guage Fogging

Has anyone actually held one of these gauges in their hand? I would think it is not completely sealed, and I agree, one small hole would do the trick.

I've had them in my hands abd there's no holes thar I remember. Like I stated, I've had 3 of them and they all did the same thing. In the day it's not so bad but at night it's hard to see. I think the heat from the bulb makes it fog at night.

I have only had fogging after getting caught out in the rain, a day in the sun cleared it up, and can't say i've had a problem since.

We don't go out at night, so i can't say if the lighting causes a problem.

On one of our other boats, i replaced all the gauges with Teleflex brand, and they fogged up on a regular basis, but again, a little time in the sun cleared it up.

I am returning my defective gauge tomorrow later today so I will look at it before I pack it for shipping and let you know.

Roy

I found 2 small holes in the back of the gauge, but can't tell if they are sealed on the inside. I have no problem because my dealer ordered a replacement the day I called and I got the new one in less than a week. However, if this is an ongoing problem it would seem that someone needs to find the root cause of the problem.View attachment 648

Ok, you can't see the holes, but one is between the edge of the gauge and the plug and the other is directly across from it. In the meantime I will try to figure out how to post the picture larger.

Roy

Last edited by a moderator:
I see what you're talking about.

Maybe TB will weigh in on this issue when they see it. If the replacement guage is likely to do the same thing as my original - then why replace it????

Jack

Funny this fogging problem has been around for so many people for so long (almost two years for me), and this is the first mention of it. And, to top that off, it turns out to have epidemic proportions!

I guess it's because it's a relatively minor thing. I am a little concerned about internal corrosion inside the gauge down the road though.

Ours has been happening since 2006.

Gauge fogging seems to be a fairy common thing with exposed gauges and consoles. Over the years I have had many gauges from many manufactures on many different boats fog. I almost considered this a normal problem on my Bennie. I think this is why it hasn't been posted before after so many years of fog. Now if my gauge dials or hands become discolored or stained that will become an issue with me.

We have 2 of our 3 gauges just start fogging (boat is a 2012). Guess I'll be calling the dealership on Monday.

I PM'd Team Bennington and below is their response to my fogging issue:

Team Bennington said:

======================================================================

Hi Jack, TB clarified the gauge warranty with our CS department. Technically, fogging is not covered under the warranty provided by the gauge manufacturer if the gauge is still functioning. Fogging generally disappears with sun exposure. Bennington will sometimes offer a replacement gauge as a goodwill gesture to the consumer; however, there is no guarantee that the new gauge will not fog.

Thanks for contacting us with this question.

Since the experience from others on the forum is that the replacement will likely fog and since mine does clear after some exposure to the sun I have decided to not replace my guage.

Jack

Same issue with foggy gauges - it goes away in warm weather - apparently the gauge needs to breath???

Back