Hard to steer

rckline3

Reaction score
I have a 1999 Bennington 2050LX with a 2008 Mercury 60 HP Big Foot fuel injected 4-stroke.
Is there any way to loosen up the steering a bit? I have greased it regularly each year and it still is stiff and jerks when turning at any speed.
Thanks,
Rick

If you watch Youtube videos on "stiff steering" you will see that the cable steering often gets stiff from sludge from old grease dragging on parts inside the engine pivot tube that steering goes through. and needs to be taken apart and cleaned well and lightly re-greased. Also it is possible motor turning pivots are stiff with old grease but less likely. I don't like the play in my factory cable steering (or the torque steer that wants to turn to right) so I ordered a new Uflex hytech hydraulic steering system on sale and been watching Youtube on how to install and looks simple. If your steering is worn out and cable dragging, it isn't all that expensive for parts to replace entire steering with a new cable system. Just research Overtons online site. They have sales going constantly. Hope this helps. ***update*** But, 1999 is getting 20 years on OEM parts so probably time for new steering as cable may have a groove worn inside the sheath and dragging. It would be like getting a new boat by replacing entire steering system.

Last edited:
Back