Has this happened to you?

Spoiledrotten

Reaction score
Last evening, we went to the local sunset concert on our reservoir. You saw the pic from the cruise after the concert. Anyway, when I first got to the concert, there were several other boats there. I pulled into a spot that seemed to be good. I pulled out the anchor for the bow, stood tall and proud, cast out the anchor... and I might say, very beautifully. I heard laughter from the two boats nearby. I couldn't imagine how someone could laugh at such a wonderful act of securing my vessel. As I pulled the rope to get it snug, I soon discovered that there was nothing attached to the rope, any longer. Yes, the anchor rope had frayed, and I lost another anchor. So, I took a bow and laughed with my audience. After I was done with pride recovery, I pulled out the other anchor and cast it out, after which we enjoyed the music and fellowship with friends.

I pulled in the rope once only to find no anchor. Must have come undone as I was pulling it in cause we did not move around while it was out.

Most people would probably keep that story to themselves! But thanks for sharing! Do that while fishing in Canada in the spring where spares are limited , and diving for an anchor or two in the cold water and you A... make sure they are tied on and B... that the rope is good!

Bummer on the anchor!!! Luckily we don't anchor often so I've had limited exposure to this risk. It also helps when you use garage sales anchors so you're only out $5!!

When I was younger, my Dad told my Mom to throw out the anchor and she did. It was not tied to anything. Went down in 50 feet of water. We had a lot of fun with her on that one.

Lost one in the river due to snap clip popping open. $40 lesson ....
Lost my other one couple years back, swam numerous weekends looking for it. Last time in the water for the season, at balmy 69 degree water, swam the wrong way and found it in about 4’ of water ..... about 20’ from where I had been searching for weeks..... :confused:

Nope never happened to us. Funny now but not then I suppose. I probably wouldn't have said anything. Haha!

Not exactly like that, at least no one saw me. Many years ago I kept the anchor rope on a wind up spool. I had a habit of holding the spool and just dropping the anchor in. One day as I was doing that, the rope hung on the spool and down went the anchor and the spool jerked out of my hand, winding up at the bottom of the lake with my anchor. Lake Norman actually owns 3 of my anchors.

Nope never happened to us. Funny now but not then I suppose. I probably wouldn't have said anything. Haha!

But now, some of you will go back to your anchor ropes, and check them. "I don't want to do what that Randy did. Can you believe he just tossed his anchor out?"

I know what it was now, as I think back. The anchor rope was one of those that had the metal loop that the shackle goes through to "protect the rope". It was loose, and rather than protecting the rope, it actually cut/frayed the rope over time.

a7fa3f04-4394-4000-8349-d5c1b6d6e840_1.7f36911edfdcbd07527e3490cfe24a3d.jpeg

When I pull up the anchor each time, I would grab the top end of the chain and shake it vigorously to wash off the clay that was usually stuck to the top of the mushroom anchor. This action is most likely what wore through the rope.

Last edited:
Back