Have dash lights won't start?

harleycontracter

Reaction score
I'm new to these boats. I had a battery for about 4 yrs and I went to start the boat last weekend and nothing !! Thought it was a bad battery I just replaced it. Went to start it and same thing no power other than dash lights
I hit all the circuit breakers on console. I tested the fuse right by the battery and power on both sides. I checked behind console for disconnected wire ( we never use that area). and Nothing !! Any other in line fuses? I couldn't see any

Thanks

Did you check the fuses on the engine itself?

It varies by engine brand and probably hp. I am assuming you have an outboard. Pull off the engine cover and look around. I have a Yamaha 150 hp and the fuses are on the front (closest to the boat) port side. Easy to see. Yamaha has a small tweezer like tool in the fuse compartment that you need to use to pull the fuses out to check and see if they are blown.

I had a similar problem a few years ago and it turned out to be that when I put the battery in after having it on a trickle charger all winter, I did not attach the wires correctly. Embarrassing! :confused:

Safety lanyard? Not sure if that eliminates all power or just ignition.

What Semp said!!! Happens all the time... especially if you don’t use it as recommended.

Does it even turn over? This may sound dumb, but is the throttle in neutral?
That's funny there because my wife got us situated in a cove when I dropped the anchor. Several hours later (music playing the whole time), nothing. Thought to myself, 'well crap'. Actually, I thought that out loud ;) Switched to the 2nd battery, Nothing! Realized when I told her to shut it off, she was still engaged.

Back