Helm "Glove" Box

buckeyelake

Reaction score
Looking at building a new boat and this site has been invaluable, great info.

Thanks to TomS and BulldogsCadillac for already answering some questions!

Looking at the R series and there is no glovebox in the helm to store wallet, etc.  Has anyone added anything or am I missing something?

Looking at building a new boat and this site has been invaluable, great info.

Thanks to TomS and BulldogsCadillac for already answering some questions!

Looking at the R series and there is no glovebox in the helm to store wallet, etc.  Has anyone added anything or am I missing something?
Nope, unfortunately no glove box on the next generation helm on the R. The door to the helm has a large built in pocket inside the door, though I store manuals and other stuff in there. I bring a small pouch that has everything I need and just tuck it into the netting on the back of the helm chair.

Just to add to what TomS stated above, there is a shallow well on the left side and one on the right side of the gauge cluster of the 2014 R models to put stuff like watch, sun glasses, wallet, and etc.  Also, the door to the helm is lockable.   I was surprised at the large amount of room in the helm compartment. 

Still less than 20 hrs on my RCW, but nonetheless I have been looking for good solutions to store my phone, wallet and other small things.  I think I have settled on adding command strips caddys.  Will likely add one near my right knee below the throttle for my phone and wallet.  Probably add a larger one to the inside of the helm door above the existing pocket for others to place their phones.

cell phone caddy

small caddy

medium caddy

large caddy

I was going to order the rsr. I ended up ordering the gsr for two reasons. It seemed to have more deck room and had a small glove box. I am used to having a large glove box on my other boats. When the toon gets here I will see if I need more glovebox  room.

Cheers, Steve

As soon as I step on the boat, my wallet and keys go in the helm door. Yes it would be nice to have a place to put my cell phone since I would never leave it on top of the dash (that ESP turns so fast I'd probably lose it in the lake!!) . I do end up a lot of the time just throwing it on the floor by my feet. It's an elevated helm so if I somehow DID take on water up front I would still be okay. I also do use the mesh back of the seat.

Yup, mine goes in back of seat. I found out the top of helm gets too hot and makes my phone shut down.

Wallet, keys, etc..... Go in our carry on bag.

I have a "Captain's Bag" that goes on the boat anytime I do.  That's where I keep the manuals, registration, the operator's license that the state reuires, a spare bottle of water, leatherman, clean rag, and snap tool for attaching the final mooring cover snaps at the end of the day.  I throw my wallet, phone, and keys in the bag, and keep it to the right of the helm chair.  It's just a nice routine to make sure I don't forget anything and know exactly where the essentials are. 

So last week I had put on the bathing suite at home put the keys wallet and phone in a pocket and proceeded to tow Benny to the lake. Went to our favorite swimming spot, had lunch and you guessed it, went for a swim. 20 minutes later this thing came up in the water and touched me on the shoulder. "MY WALLET" had floated up. Than it hit me, the "ELECTRIC LOCK RELEASE" and "MY PHONE :blink:".  As I took the phone out of the pocket and looked at it, all the screen was nothing but a big puddle. The phone spent the next four days resting in 2 lbs. or rice. It worked and I'm still using it. I don't know how many times you can drownings it can take but for now a lesson learned. Keep the essentials out of the pockets if your going boating. Electronics DON'T like water. :wacko:

AND I HAVE A GLOVE BOX   '"DA"'

Last edited by a moderator:
Anything that has to stay dry and out of the sun goes into an otter box which is kept on the deck to the right of the captain's chair

Last edited by a moderator:
I have a GSR with glovebox but i still need space for cell phones ect. I use small suction cup shower caddys you can get at Walmart or Target in the Bath Accessories isle. They work awesome and stick with suction to the fiberglass helm great. I have 2 mediums on the helm and a large one on the side of my captain seat stuck to the side panel for extra drink holder. All have been stuck since April and haven't moved once. Cheap few dollar fix that can be removed without any damage.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/InterDesign-Suction-Bath-Caddy/16478086

Back