Help - engine won’t start

ChrisSC

Reaction score
hi all -

Having an issue with my 24’ Bennington - 150 HP Yamaha outboard. Went to crank it for the first time this season and it started right away, after a couple minutes, went to trim it up a bit and the engine cut off. Ever since, I can’t get the engine to crank at all much less start. I check the battery and it’s fully charged. I even changed out the inline ignition fuse near the battery thinking maybe it had been blown but this didn’t help. Thinking maybe an issue with the kill switch but as of an hour ago, I was getting a beeping sound when I tried to crank the engine; now I’m getting nothing at all. Oh, and the power to the depth finder and radio is working just fine. Would appreciate any thoughts or help.

Thanks,
Chris

I would check the battery connections (especially the grounds) and the fuses under the cowl. It sounds like when you went to trim it put a strain on the ground circuit. Take off the cables and clean with emery paper or a battery terminal cleaner.

Thanks for the quick reply - i actually cleaned them with a wet rag and now I’m getting a beeping sound when I’m trying to crank. My guess is when i go get some cable cleaner, it will make a difference - thanks again

hi all -

Having an issue with my 24’ Bennington - 150 HP Yamaha outboard. Went to crank it for the first time this season and it started right away, after a couple minutes, went to trim it up a bit and the engine cut off. Ever since, I can’t get the engine to crank at all much less start. I check the battery and it’s fully charged. I even changed out the inline ignition fuse near the battery thinking maybe it had been blown but this didn’t help. Thinking maybe an issue with the kill switch but as of an hour ago, I was getting a beeping sound when I tried to crank the engine; now I’m getting nothing at all. Oh, and the power to the depth finder and radio is working just fine. Would appreciate any thoughts or help.

Thanks,
Chris
if it isn't the fuse it could be a tilt limit switch, some motors are equipped so if the motor is trimmed too far the rpms are cut back, its a long shot but worth checking if nothing else works.

Wow, glad you got such a quick resolution -- that Carl knows what he's talking about sometimes! :)

It's awesome to have someone with decades of experience as a master mechanic on here!!

Also........get some dielectric grease to coat the terminals.

thanks a million - a little baking soda, water, and toothbrush was all it took to cleanup the terminals and get my Benny cranked up. One thing I learned from this - the terminals or posts don’t have to “look” corroded to actually need cleaning.
Good point. I’m saving this for future reference.

Back