Help me pick a prop...

A lot of the differences in the outboards are really about torque, but unfortunately you'll never see that published. At 3.0 liters, the Merc should have a ton for a 150.

How do you all think the 150 would work on a standard two tube setup (no strakes) - 24sli?

Shawn - Did you see the answer to your question in another thread?

There is a formula for displacement hulls, and it was hard for me to wrap my head around it the first time I read about it, but (for displacement hulls) max speed is dependent on the length of the hull, not the amount of motor HP. You might think I made a typo, but I didn't. At a given point, adding more and more HP is just wasted as it only creates a larger and larger wave in front of the boat that the boat has push harder and harder against to climb over. This essentially locks in the max speed, no matter how much HP you throw on the boat. At that given point, more HP is a lost cause. The only way to overcome this is for the boat to plane up. So, not sure a 150 would help you much... Look in the props and power section, and maybe you can find a similar setup.

How difficult is adding hydraulic steering as a DIY project? It doesn't seem like much. Some cutting/drilling to fit helm pump, cut hoses to length, wrench hoses on with ferrule/compression fittings, fill and bleed the system, forget something important and crash and kill the whole family...

Anyone put a BayStar system on their boat?

In case you ever want to add power steering you need Sea Star steering. It won't work with Bay Star. And the hoses can't be cut and must be ordered to length.

Excellent point Carl. Thanks for the tip.

I, like you, are struggling with correct prop dia/pitch  --  12"dia/9"pitch

Enjoyed reading your thread and I learned a lot.  Going to check out the spitfire prop series to see what they offer.

You change over to the hydraulic steering?  That was the best upgrade ever for me!

renovated 1996 24'  --  2 pontoons with a 1996 75hp Force  --   (oh my!)  But still running sweet!   

Back