Help Resolving Cavitation issues on a new boat.

Hang5

Reaction score
I have a continuing problem with cavitation on a new 2017 20' Bennington with a 9.9 Mercury Pro Kicker...It and another nearby pontoon had bad cavitation issues so the dealer (Denny's Marina, in Indy) took the boat in to "rework the transom mount". They brought it back (with a new mystery battery draining short) and yet it still surges and lurches in the higher rpm range and is quite unpleasant to operate.
I understand cavitation well enough to know that it is probably from the interaction of the motor mount housing plate with the water but is the solution to raise even higher the plate or to go to a long shaft Merc? Or perhaps install one of those horizontal fin cavitation plates? Anyone with a similar problem who has solved the issues please let me know. It is turning my favorite evening activity- rounding the lake on my pontoon- into a frustration. Thanks in advance.

Is this a kicker mounted behind toon? I would almost bet,you need a long shaft, or as you stated, move the plate, to escape the dirty water behind the toon.

As for the battery drain, did you discuss with the dealer?

SemperFi,

I will discuss the battery drain with him today. I agree on the long shaft-convincing the company that has to pay for it is the issue I am afraid. I have owned 20 boats or so in my life and have found the long shaft overcomes a world of design shortcomings.

Welcome to the family. Can't answer any of your questions but here's to a quick and agreeable resolution!

Back