Help with SiriusXM Antenna

Scott1

Reaction score
I purchased the SXV300v1 for my SiriusXM ready head unit.  It appears I may have to drill a hole somewhere on the console area to run the cable and install the flat round antenna.  Does anyone else have any better ideas?  It just makes me a little sick knowing that I would have to drill a hole like that.  Maybe there is another place I can feed it up through?

Any ideas would be great.

Oops, one more question.  The guy I am having put this in is installing my Bazooka combined amp and subwoofer, 250 watts.  He does cars and boats all the time.  He told me he was going to run the cables back to my batteries, but now that he has looked at the underneath of the helm he sees where there is a terminal block with two wire 12 gauge cable..positive and ground.  He said he is going to test with his meter and see if he can just go to this.  Can this work?  Is 12 gauge not big enough?

Thanks

scott

Since i'm not familiar with your helm, i may be off the mark here, but on my S series helm the horn cover is on the outside, and could be a place to run the wires out for the antenna.

I don't think 12GA wire is going to be enough for your amp and subwoofer.

Thanks, yeah my helm is different.  May have to drill a hole.  I didn't think the 12 gauge wire would be enough, I will ask him to run to my batteries.

Thanks

Definitely don't run off the 12G.Where are you planning on mounting the antenna? I'm assuming in front of the windshield right close to the rail?

I suggest you try your XM radio with the antenna under the enclosed helm first. Radio/satellite RF signals easily pass thru fiberglass. I did this with a prior all fiberglass boat and there was virtually no difference in signal strength with the XM antenna located under the fiberglass or out in the open. I don't know if all the aluminum in a pontoon boat will change the equation but I would surely try it before potentially drilling unnecessary holes.

Give it a try, you have nothing to lose and no damage will be done to your equipment.

Let us know how it works out for you.

Good luck.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, somewhere in front of the windscreen and close to the rail.  You are right tooncrazy, I have nothing to lose to at least try it.

Thanks guys

I used an XM antenna under the helm of our Malibu ski boat and a Harris pontoon boat without issue. Both were beneath the top flat surface.

Back