Here goes nothing

mtudb24

Reaction score
Sorry folks I have been MIA lately.  Been having a great duck season in the Thumb of Michigan until the dreaded sighting  Our Deep water floating blind went "down".  We hunted last weekend in true 3-4 footers 20-30mph West wind. (iIll get pics up soons), and 4 guys limited out on 24 birds in 2 hours.  After shooitng a limit of ducks in the morning, we came back out for  afternoon goose hunt only to find the right pontoon submereged and on a hard list to starboard.

After a 4 hour tow back to home base (less then 3 miles out into the bay (not fun at all) and ended in the dark evening hours, I will now be spending this weekend trying to figure out how to lift the right side out of the water to repair the tube.  No trailer exists to tow it as the tubes are over 9'5 feet wide and obviously no floor boards between tubes because that is where the boat goes in and cranks up.

Ill take pics and keep you posted on what we do to try and get a field repair in on fixing  a punchured  tube fixed while still in water.

I can see the Rubicon and her 9.500lb winch coming in real handy :)    Right now we have a 240 gallon pump per hour in a 3/4 hole we drilled on the top of the toon pumping and not making much head way. Gonna have to get a bigger pump in there to get it float and then pull it ashore to get it out of the water and then jacked up to make repairs.

Every duck we've shot this year, just increased in value.  1 benelli Super black eagle II $1,300.  1 box of 25" 3.5" #3 steel sht High Velocity Black cloud ammo $25,00.  8 shots for 6 kills, $125 dollars.  spending   $$$$  on fixing striken blind, priceless......  Guess its cheaper to goto the grocery store. hahahahhahahha.  But then again, the stories and experience are pricelss right????  That's what I have to keep telling myself.....

Todd

attached is her in calm waters

post-222-0-40537500-1351741702_thumb.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Yup, a 'Priceless" story you will be telling for a long time! Good luck fixing that pontoon this weekend..........What's the temp up there??????

Gather up some water tubes and biscuits, put them under the toon and fill them up! Or talk to your local fire/rescue guys and see if they have the professional air bag lifters, or if there is anyone around there that does water salvage, but I doubt anyone does around there. Air is the key my friend!

I guess it is a good thing you limited out before the blind started going down. Hopefully someone didn't sabotage it after seeing your success. Maybe you frame up some wood ramps and use the winch to pull the blind out sideways at shore. Then it will be out of the water to facilitate repairs. Keep us updated.

Back