holy cow

Hutch949

Reaction score
I bought a 24sslx back in April with the sps and 150 Yamaha.I was very pleased and satisfied with my purchase. I have to leave it in the water and that is what I wanted so it would be easy to use when I wanted.I knew the performance would suffer by leaving it in the water.My 40 mph tritoon has now gone down to 22 to 23 mph.I plan on borrowing my neighbors trailer in the next couple of weeks and try to clean the logs.Should I have gotten a 2 toon boat instead,is the third toon causing that much more drag now with the added growth? With a couple more months of growth on the toons I may not even be able to leave the dock at 10mph. If I got a lower pitch prop would that help push the pontoon better since I don't have a trailer to take it out of the water every week?Just looking for thoughts and if anyone has experienced that drastic of a drop in performance. Thanks Hutch949

Seems like a drastic drop just from some algae build up. What's the rpms at WOT ??

On that note, I clean mine once a month or so, I just anchor off the island, and use a mild grill scrubber pad (scotchbrite) and clean them. Takes me probably 20-30 minutes. It's MUCH EASIER to do it more often, then trying to clean thick build up once or so a season.

I agree,that's a big drop.I was wondering if the third toon made it more drastic of a drop.I saw your post about cleaning them but I only get to use it on weekends and we have had so much rain this year I have tried to ride as much as possible.I think it has rained every weekend except two since the end of April. I have only put 19 hrs on it in 4 months.

Last edited by a moderator:
I use the green scotchbrite pads as well. The drop in speed doesn't surprise me - we clean the tubes frequently in the summer.

Yeah, weathers been hindering our weekends too. I've only put roughly 30 hours on since April. We usually do that in one month or less. The ONLY good thing is, the algae hasn't grown as fast this year so cleaning has been less of an issue. (Plus waters been pretty cold for this time of year to be in it)

I dropped from 49 to 38 with dirty logs. Cleaned them, took it to LOTO, and ran back at the higher speeds.

I would recommend a lift is possible. Ours sits on one and there is no growth at all and still runs as fast as day one. If a lift is not in your future, put your bathing suit on as it sounds like you have some scrubbing to do! Love your set up by the way. Our next boat will be a 24 sslx with sps and at least a 150. Enjoy

Well there hours go! You'll already be wet! :)

Everytime we go to raft up with other boats (at least once during a weekend), I'll spend 20 t0 30 min brushing them. Makes it so much easier at fall haul out time and I'm anal that ways anyhow, so I enjoy keeping them clean. Too bad my wife says I don't clean the house like I do the Benny :)

Todd

Yeah Todd, my wife basically told me "I take care of inside stuff, you take care of outside stuff" ..... but I will say, almost every weekend we go out, she does a wipe down on the interior with 303. Gotta keep it lookin good just in case we "Pull a Derrick" ..... Lol !!!!

You never know when you'll come down with PAD syndrome (Pull a Derrick) Symptoms include insomnia from researching new Bennington models and spending time on the forum, dehydration from excessive drooling, paranoia that your neighbor will get that new model before you. From what I hear it is a contagious, debilitating and serious condition that takes tens of thousands of dollars to treat and as we all know, there is currently no cure for it.

Haha, you guys are hilarious! Seriously! Hi, my name is Derrick, not only am I a sufferer of PADS, but I'm also the founder. With your donations we can help cure this horrible addiction, it's a rigorous therapy involving color selection, model layouts, and engine choice, but through our research and dedication, you too can find short term relief to this disease. Treatments last for 1 to 2 years, depending on new model selection, some flare ups can be solved with simple stereo upgrades, some require extensive holes to be cut. Just know that we are here for you. Please send a check or money order to the dealer of your choice and we will work hard to find you the right solution to your problem, at least for a year or two!

Hey Hutch, let me apologize for this little deviation from the topic, I had to post my little message to follow up on these jokesters, hope I/we didn't annoy you, all in good fun.

Derrick

Last edited by a moderator:
Back