Hour clock

Tracy

Reaction score
Have a question on my hour meter. Sometimes when I turn the ignition on it comes on sometimes it doesn't. Could it be a loose wire or a bad gauge?

Turn on as in engine not running vs. running? It should only "meter" with engine running.

I think we might want to do a test on this. I think it runs when the key is turned on.

yup... key on --> clock runs (doesn't have to be running)

I think we might want to do a test on this. I think it runs when the key is turned on.

I guess I'm wrong in my post, but that is an odd way to "meter" your engine hours. I guess it doesn't matter on mine as there's no reason to have my key in the "on" position, unless I'm actually running the motor.

I guess I'm wrong in my post, but that is an odd way to "meter" your engine hours. I guess it doesn't matter on mine as there's no reason to have my key in the "on" position, unless I'm actually running the motor.

I agree with you. I noticed this when I first got my boat and thouht it was odd too.

My lawnmower is the same way, key on=meter runs.

It's a bad design. I had to have the key on for the bait tanks to operate and that put false hours on the engine. By the time I figured it out the meter was showing double the hours the engine actually had. Rewired it so the tanks can be run without the key in the on position. Certainly not something the end-user should have to do. Don't they have engineers at the factory for that sort of thing?

I double checked, and mine doesn't count up if the ignition is on, but the engine is not running. The following is from the Faria website the maker of Bennington branded instruments..

Hourmeters by Faria Beede have an icon in the left hand corner of the display. The icon lets the operator know that hours are being displayed. During normal operations the icon displays solid when the key is on and the engine has not yet been started. Turning the engine on activates the counting function. The icon will begin to blink indicating that the hourmeter is currently counting hours for the connected engine. This is normal.

I double checked, and mine doesn't count up if the ignition is on, but the engine is not running. The following is from the Faria website the maker of Bennington branded instruments..

Hourmeters by Faria Beede have an icon in the left hand corner of the display. The icon lets the operator know that hours are being displayed. During normal operations the icon displays solid when the key is on and the engine has not yet been started. Turning the engine on activates the counting function. The icon will begin to blink indicating that the hourmeter is currently counting hours for the connected engine. This is normal.

^^^THIS^^^

I was told if you go from motor running to (I will say accessory) the hobs will keep running. To stop hobs you need to turn to off position then to accessory. Is this true? Brought boat home 2 weeks ago, but haven't had out yet. Grandkids sports on the weekends. :)

I can only speak from experience. I logged my hours on my boat from the start. I drove across the lake about a 1/2 mile to the "beach" going as fast as I could. Shut the boat off and turned it back on, thinking I needed the key on for the stereo. (New boat.) Drove back to my slip, fast as I could. The next time out I logged the hours and I had 8 hours on it. I bet I had 30 minutes running the engine tops, this is when I figured out I did not need the key on. So my set up must have been defective or they have changed it since 2013. I think everyone should verify this on their boat. Every one could be different.

I can only speak from experience. I logged my hours on my boat from the start. I drove across the lake about a 1/2 mile to the "beach" going as fast as I could. Shut the boat off and turned it back on, thinking I needed the key on for the stereo. (New boat.) Drove back to my slip, fast as I could. The next time out I logged the hours and I had 8 hours on it. I bet I had 30 minutes running the engine tops, this is when I figured out I did not need the key on. So my set up must have been defective or they have changed it since 2013. I think everyone should verify this on their boat. Every one could be different.
Interesting. Is your hour meter located within the tachometer? Is the hour meter part of a Yamaha gauge package?

full

It's a digital display

Back