How do I remove the steering wheel?

Daniel Restis

Reaction score
I need to straighten the steering wheel because it is off-center. I have a 2002 Bennington 2575 RL.
I can't seem to get the steering wheel off ... I took the center nut off and tried using a wheel puller to remove the steering wheel however it will not budge . Can anybody tell me if the steering wheel is also threaded or can I just pull it off with brut force? What is the proper technique?

Thanks for your help

Should be a tapered shaft but I don’t think you will be able to change the centering though, as I’m almost positive it has a keyway.
Warning: Do this with your own care and caution. I’m not responsible for your actions. I’ve been able to pop them off by putting nut on to cover threads, pulling with one hand on top, wedging leg under bottom, and smacking the nut with a hammer. Don’t smack it really hard or you can damage the steering mechanism.

if I remember correctly, you can adjust the cable back at the motor. Center the wheel, then adjust at motor to get it centered.

Use a brass hammer so as not to damage the threads or nut.

I thought I was OCD!!!

Take the center nut off, you have to remove the steering wheel center first, then grab the steering wheel on each side and you should be able to wiggle it off. Remember to replace the key when you replace he wheel.

Back