How long on 55g fuel tank?

BulldogsCadillac

Just some guy
Reaction score
Okay folks, so here is the question. I know it is kind of dumb because it has so many variables, but for those with the 55g fuel tank,  how many hours can you boat before fill up? Semp, you are exempt from this question!  Haha jk, but on average, with probably 70% just cruising, 30% towing tubes etc. Or even those that do long runs at one speed, what do you think? 

Thanks!

Just asking because we obviously know the fuel readout is far from exact, so just wondering. 

This is a trick question. We all know you will order another boat before the gauge on this one reads E!

Mine has a 59 gallon tank and since I sent my engine ecu in to simon motor sports it does even better on fuel than it did before by a long shot, I am just guessing but I know I can easily get 10+ hours out of mine normal cruising and putting around at 1/2 throttle or a bit more and several short WOT runs with no hard use like tubing or skiing.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks Wild, I guess I'll fill it, was wanting to burn off as much of my "old" fuel as I can, but I guess I'll fill it, and make note of how much I throw in.

Filling that tank will be worse than when I filled the Suburban.  140 liters at 1.25 was a chunk of change. 

Well, filled up and found out my gauge is pretty darn close. Went boating for the day, had an awesome time. Saw friends, took out my parents and niece for a quick ride, and then took our sister in law and her "girls day" friends out for some tubing. Almost no wind, dang near perfect. Then I get home, am cleaning up the boat, I open the back hatch to see if there is any water by the bilge pump and realize, well crap, I can easily see how much fuel I have right there by looking at the tank! 

I did the entire circumference of Torch Lake, Michigan 2 summers ago...that is a HUGE inland lake (19 miles long x 2 miles wide....18,770 acres).  Was very windy and wavy that day....very good size waves....had 6 adults in the boat, full compliment of gear....3 large coolers.  Cruised at 3000 rpm's.  Cannot remember for certain but I KNOW I didn't even use half a tank of gas.....and that's with an I/O.

At cruise speed on open water, I burn 8gal/hr at about 3800rpm and 25mph. 

When I'm just puttering with the occasional short dash to another bay to inspect rumors of toplessness...I burn 2-3gal/hr.

I know you know there are a lot of variables, but I've done lots of range calculations based on some pretty specific data and I thought it would be useful. 

My open water data came from a 56 mile run down the west coast of Lake Michigan in steady rolling 2ft facing seas with an occasional 3 in there for good measure and a 10kt headwind. Not calm by any stretch. My fuel gauge was right at 1/2 tank when I arrived, and I put 16 gallons in to the 32 gallon tank. 2hr 10min run time. Steady throttle at 3800.

Back