How much???

lakeliving

Reaction score
I've been getting the PADS itch so it got me wondering what could I get for my boat. I've looked and can't find any good comps so I'd be curious to hear what the experts here think a private party value is. NADA shows $37,400 (with the trailer) as an average retail price but that doesn't really account for the additional options.

Specs and options:
2014 24sslx (Regatta Blue which is the fastest color :))
SPS
Yamaha F200 w 240 hours, Stainless reliance prop
Power assist steering
Salt water package
Sealed strakes
Raised chrome logos
stainless docking lights
Full nutmeg aqua teak with full snap in matrix carpet
Blue bimini lights
Kicker speakers
heavy duty rub rail
tow bar
Live well
GPS speedo
Echo 100
three portable cup holders and a table that has never been used.

No dents, dings, scratches or rips.

Personally, I'd build an exact same spec boat, factor in appx. discount, add new trailer cost, then knock another couple grand off and start there. Bad time of year to try and be a seller, but who knows.
What are you itching for now?

Boat builder shows a 23 SSLX as the current model for mine. Non premium S with our options aside from no snap in carpet shows an MSRP of $68,554. 20% off (I know this varies widely) is $54,800, plus $2500 for a trailer and we're around $57,000. Then whatever the "used" factor is. Hmmmmm.

Probably would move up to a G or R. Wife said she'd want the separate loungers in the back so a CW model. I'd go ESP and more power, power bimini. Don't need the other frills like lights or anything. Ours is paid for so I could always sit on it and sell it in the spring myself if needed. Like so many on here once the wife starts mentioning an possible upgrade it gets you thinking!!!! Plus the new 10 year warranty would be nice. We're looking for job opportunities in warmer climates so that will plat a factor as well. I wouldn't want to invest more into a boat to use in MI given the season is so short. Probably could justify it if we could use one year round.

Funny, all my wife says is NO!

Funny, all my wife says is NO!

Mine will too when I show her the R windscreen with a 350 I just built on the site....$111,065! Ouch!

I sold mine back in early May, when folks were getting ready for the upcoming boating season, so your experience may differ this time of year. I used NADA to get an idea of what it may be worth and then I configured my exact boat (as close as I could) on the Bennington website. I used these numbers to set my price, which was a little higher than I what I actually paid for mine. Now keep in mind I purchased mine at a local boat show so I had probably every possible discount available when I bought it. I sold it for about $700 more than I paid. I threw in tube, jackets, and ropes so I lost a little there. I was patient and went in with the mindset that I did not have to sell it. I listed it very high at first but had no interest. After two weeks or so I lowered the price and the calls started rolling in. Sold it to the second guy that looked at it...and had to cancel two other showings. It probably helped that it sold to a guy that was former Bennington owner and was dead set on owning another one.

So you have your NADA value. What would it cost a customer to buy your exact boat (or close to it) new? Answer that question and then try to set a price that may entice a buyer to buy used and still get you what you want for your boat. It can help if you throw in things like tubes/jackets/ropes/etc. I advertised mine as completely ready for a day on the water. Good luck if you decide to sell.

Hmmm, I have, err had, exactly what you want :cool:

I received more than a few ridiculous offers for my 2013 R. I just had to be patient for someone who actually knew what they were looking at.

I pulled out the original build sheet with all options at MSRP, discounted that at a conservative 20%, added the trailer which wasn't discounted, plus all the spiffs I put on like MercMonitor, Garmin 547, PTM Edge mirror, etc. Then, I configured the exact same 2018 with options, trailer, prep/freight, etc. It came to ~$105k, so $80-85k with a conservative discount. Given the pristine condition of my boat (as I'm sure yours is too), my asking price seemed very fair for what looked like a nearly new boat with 125 hours and remaining warranty on both boat and motor. I showed both the '13 and '18 build sheets to the potential buyer and went from there.

Another thing I learned was if they don't know Bennington lines, you have to educate them some on S, G, R, Q. Just because they've seen a fairly new 20SL @$20k doesn't mean a loaded R is in the same price point. Same goes for comparing to other brands, Bennington is just worth more, and resale prices show it. I take that comparison off the table right away.

I also think once you cross ~$40-50k with a used toon, buyers thin out in a hurry, just because not many are aware of performance pontoons and what they really cost. Most of my tire kickers thought these should be $25k-40k boats, and couldn't comprehend that we paid nearly double that for it new. I suggested a couple of them step into a Bennington, Harris, or Manitou dealership where you can see $175k+ toons with twins :eek:

I also threw in all the life jackets, box anchor, lines, bumpers, paddle/boat hook, etc. so it was water ready.

Boat builder shows a 23 SSLX as the current model for mine. Non premium S with our options aside from no snap in carpet shows an MSRP of $68,554. 20% off (I know this varies widely) is $54,800, plus $2500 for a trailer and we're around $57,000. Then whatever the "used" factor is. Hmmmmm.

Probably would move up to a G or R. Wife said she'd want the separate loungers in the back so a CW model. I'd go ESP and more power, power bimini. Don't need the other frills like lights or anything. Ours is paid for so I could always sit on it and sell it in the spring myself if needed. Like so many on here once the wife starts mentioning an possible upgrade it gets you thinking!!!! Plus the new 10 year warranty would be nice. We're looking for job opportunities in warmer climates so that will plat a factor as well. I wouldn't want to invest more into a boat to use in MI given the season is so short. Probably could justify it if we could use one year round.
For the Relo may i suggest East Tennessee. Good lakes as you can see from my pics, and 0% state income tax. I have several friends who have relocated here from places like Coldwater and Lansing. Good People, you would love the mountains around your lake, and much warmer, we will be out this weekend with a high of 87. We are close to Gatlingburg and all that the Smokies have to offer.

Lol!! I bet if I told Panthergirl we were getting a new boat, she'd say, what's the payment going to be this time ....... :D

We just got in from being out on ours and had a blast as usual. I'll probably hang tight and see what comes out next year. By then we'll probably be in a new area. Dennis, I have family in franklin. Beautiful area. We're looking at lake Norman or lake Conroe. I have a couple irons in the fire so we'll see what happens. Winter is closing in on us up here. Supposed to be unseasonably warm here the next 5 days with upper 80's and sun. One final weekend to cut loose.

Tom, we should have traded as ours has the salt water package. You would've been all set!

I just told my wife we should get a new boat for our anniversary, which is Friday, also got a NO.

Well, early "happy anniversary" to you and your wife. Mine is the day after yours.... #17 for us. Since we just bought our second Benny, we are calling it our anniversary present to each other.

I just told my wife we should get a new boat for our anniversary, which is Friday, also got a NO.
Yup, ours is Friday also (#21). Happy annies to both of you.

FYI, we switched insurance companies and listed the boats as stated value. The company came back and said the values were too high by $20,000 for each boat. I searched and there 3 2008 I/O Benningtons for sale and they have smaller motors and are priced at my insured value. The 2015, they valued a $42,000 build sheet boat for $22,000. There is not that model for sale on the used market. You might want to talk to your insurance and see what the value they have for your boat.

Well, early "happy anniversary" to you and your wife. Mine is the day after yours.... #17 for us. Since we just bought our second Benny, we are calling it our anniversary present to each other.
Thanks all! This is the second for both of us and will be our 5th, but have been close friends for 30 years. I told her that they changed things recently, it is no longer wood for the 5th anniversary, it's now Bennington.. Still no luck lol

FYI, we switched insurance companies and listed the boats as stated value. The company came back and said the values were too high by $20,000 for each boat. I searched and there 3 2008 I/O Benningtons for sale and they have smaller motors and are priced at my insured value. The 2015, they valued a $42,000 build sheet boat for $22,000. There is not that model for sale on the used market. You might want to talk to your insurance and see what the value they have for your boat.

My insurance is replacement value (edited- it's actually the value of the price we paid, so if it gets destroyed, they should give me the amount I paid for it. That's what was told to me by the agent.). That might be why my policy is a little higher, but I didn't want them to give me 1/2 of what it would cost me to replace it, if something happened to it.

Last edited:
My insurance is replacement value. That might be why my policy is a little higher, but I didn't want them to give me 1/2 of what it would cost me to replace it, if something happened to it.
Lakeliving might be able to address (replacement Value). I did not want a pissing match and went with stated value.

Back