How to close a Bimini

JSTalicska

Reaction score
I just purchased a 2016 Bennington 18SL and am very pleased with it.  We opened the Bimini this weekend and I wasn't paying to close attention.  The Bimini cover does not go completely around to encase the canvas and zip to itself.  I understand there are two places it will need to zip to, the front and the back (when fully extended), but I am unable to figure it out when I have it closed.  It has me completely confused.  Is there a video out there or can someone explain it?

Your question is very confusing. What type of Bimini do you have. Are the 2nd and 3rd rails crossed and not allowing the cover zippers to meet?  When closing the Bimini be sure the support frames are closed in the correct manner.  The second rail will fold up behind the third rail moving from front to back if you don't watch it. Should be in this order from back to front. Rear rail, third rail, second and the the first rail.  Sounds simple I know but it can happen very easily. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Yup, I have to agree with MH663 that the bimini rails can easily get "crossed" when folding it up, which would make it (impossible?) to zip the cover over it. 

I guess the confusing part to me is how do you get the rails crossed up? There are only two rails that can fold up. The only two rails that will fold, simply fold against the two main rails. Then you just lay it against the back supports, put your bimini boot over the cover, pull the ends away from the middle to easily get the zipper started, and then just be careful not to pinch the canvas in the zippers as you zip them up. 

Is there something different between the 2015 and 2016?

If it would help, I could make a video of either me letting up and down the bimini by myself, or of my wife and I working as a team to get it done. 

Our top has three rails (front, center and rear) and I've noticed that when we are folding them back, the front rail has gone under the center rail, which then requires moving it back into order. I'm assuming that if you left them in the wrong order, it would not allow you to put the boot cover on. 

Here are the front rails, the second rail just lays forward to the long 1st rail as it folded back. 

b1706f96581251e6b5d085d09ca82e55.jpg

Here are the 3rd and rear rails, where the 3rd lays backward to the 4th as the bimini is closed. Yours may or may not be like this one, but I would think that most of the sl and slx models would be the same. 

ff935893f7efa9b8adbe0fbf176f2ee8.jpg

Here it is folded and tucked away.

30c7b4d4-4e83-4048-8047-35e1524376cd.jpg

Our top has three rails (front, center and rear) and I've noticed that when we are folding them back, the front rail has gone under the center rail, which then requires moving it back into order. I'm assuming that if you left them in the wrong order, it would not allow you to put the boot cover on. 

I guess the confusing part to me is how do you get the rails crossed up? There are only two rails that can fold up. The only two rails that will fold, simply fold against the two main rails. Then you just lay it against the back supports, put your bimini boot over the cover, pull the ends away from the middle to easily get the zipper started, and then just be careful not to pinch the canvas in the zippers as you zip them up. 

Is there something different between the 2015 and 2016?

If it would help, I could make a video of either me letting up and down the bimini by myself, or of my wife and I working as a team to get it done. 

You both are correct. Just need to be mindful. Mine rails get crossed regularly but it's probably just my technique. Takes one second to resolve but I could see someone that hasn't done it much have an issue from lack of experience. 

Using Spoiledrotten's pics maybe you can figure out how the bimini folds.  You unlock the front brace (leg) from the front frame to start folding.  Once the front is unlocked go to the rear and fold the rear brace back towards the rear frame.....first place mine usually gets crossed up.  Then go to the front and fold the short top brace towards the front leg before folding rearward.....second place mine has crossed up before.  Once the front frame and rear frame are together with those 2 short braces folded flat the bimini cover should zip on without to much trouble.

bimini1_zpsbqilofqt.jpg

bimini2_zpsvvgcptz5.jpg

Using Spoiledrotten's pics maybe you can figure out how the bimini folds.  You unlock the front brace (leg) from the front frame to start folding.  Once the front is unlocked go to the rear and fold the rear brace back towards the rear frame.....first place mine usually gets crossed up.  Then go to the front and fold the short top brace towards the front leg before folding rearward.....second place mine has crossed up before.  Once the front frame and rear frame are together with those 2 short braces folded flat the bimini cover should zip on without to much trouble.

Thanks for detail everyone.  I'm going to make the assumption that the braces were crossed and I did not have them set properly.  I'm a first time boat 'owner' and the little details have been tripping me up.    

Very nice illustration, ILB!  

JST, if you still have problems with yours, the wife and I will make a video of how easy it can be with just a little practice. When folding up, you have to fold the short arches or they will catch on each other. You really need a helper until you get the hang of it, and even then, it can be a challenging task to get it accomplished without torquing your frame. That, you don't want to do. 

Would love to see your video. Confused in Massachusetts. Thanks.

While under the bimini (hopefully that's where you are when this is happening or we need to have a whole different conversation!) as you are collapsing it, just push UP on the second and third bars as you are collapsing it so they all lay in their own order, flat against each other. The second and third ones like to flop down under their own weight, just push them back up in position. Try it once and I'm sure it will make sense. Another tip . . . as you're undoing those clips (the first step to collapsing the bimini) reach up and pull down a little on the bimini to take some pressure off then with your other hand give it a little open hand slap. That will make it easy and help the clips last longer.

I need to say this is 1 of the heaviest bimini tops i have dealt with..... they need to put some sort of spring or shocks on it to make it easier to lift and close. I am 5'6 female and im 46. I can do it but i can see older folks having trouble! Mine is a 2018 s20 fishing toon.

I'm 68 and don't have a problem. :cool:

We debated if it would be worth it, but eventually added the electric Bimini onto our order last year. Glad we did. My wife in particular loves that at a push of a button it is up or down. I’d never not add that option again.

Back