How to raise and lower the bimini top

tldaigneau

Reaction score
We just picked up our new 2014 21' SLX Pontoon boat.  We know the operation is straightforward, but, we are having trouble figuring out how to raise/lower the bimini top.   Would apprecaite instructions.  thanks! 

The feet of the bimini should have a slot which slides over the pin in the mounting bracket.  You simply position the foot of the bimini on to the pin and snap the leg into position.  To remove the leg from the pin a slight bang from your hand in the opposite direction is all that is needed.

To open the bimini, it should be in the "Radar" position, which means all folded up and in a position that a person can walk under it.  Grab a leg on the top of the folded bimini and unfold the bimini much like a fan.  When the bimini is opened fully, drop the leg that you grabbed and attach it to the mounting bracket.  Secure the leg on the opposite side as well.  There should be two sets of mounting brackets on your rails.

To close the bimini disconnect the (forward) legs and fold the bimini back to the radar position.  Try to keep the canvas folded nicely as you close it.

It's kind of hard to explain it step by step, but here are a couple of points...

Putting it up...

1) I use the butt of my hand to knock the support bars into place.

2)  I do the stern side first.

3) When doing the bow side, you need to put all your weight to pull it down.  It's meant to be very taught.

Taking it down.

1) I do the Bow end first.

2) Knock it with the butt of your hand to release the supports.

3) Be careful...it can get away from you as you move it to the rear position...I have a bruise to prove it!

4) Watch your fingers!  That was another time!  And I've only had the boat for 2 weeks!

This is what I've done since we got the boat a couple weeks ago, so I'm no expert, but it seems to work.

-Jason

Back