How to tell if Shark Hide was done

Benni Newbie

Reaction score
We have 20 hours on our 22 tri-toon SSRFBXP. We are really enjoying our new boat. We have taken it out in fresh water and salt water as well. I had SO many questions about options when building our new boat. Shark hide was suggested to keep the toons looking nice so we added that option. How can you tell if shark hide was installed on the toons? There are strap marks on the back of both of the toons. It looks like some oxidation is occurring already. I thought that was the whole purpose of shark hide. We have scratches on the toons from where the PVC guides rub when launching the boat. I don’t think shark hide protects against scratches but the strap marks and oxidation make me think that the shark hide wasn’t installed on the toons. We are taking our pontoon to the dealer for the 20 hour tune up tomorrow. I am going to ask them to check, but I wanted to ask all my Pontoon owners as well. Thanks guys!!

Shark Hide does not last below the water line

Looks about the same as mine . I am not in saltwater .I have mine reapplied every other season. It looks like your deck extends past your tubes .

The above pictures show strap marks. These marks were on the boat when we received it. I don’t know what caused these marks. We did not have any straps on the pontoons.

Looks about the same as mine . I am not in saltwater .I have mine reapplied every other season. It looks like your deck extends past your tubes .
We have the extended aft deck in the back of the boat. Love it!

Since you have the extended deck ,I dont believe the strap marks would be up the high on the tubes.

Last edited:
If that's been in water, you have sharkhide. Looks like straps were used somewhere along the way and rubbed sharkhide off. Only option is remove sharkhide on those caps (lacquer thinner), possibly clean up with da sander with 800-1000 grit on entire cap so it looks the same, then reapply sharkhide. May have had straps holding from factory shipment, dealer transport, etc...

Back