Humminbird 788ci HD Sonar

Reaction score
I got an ad this week from Cabelas advertising this FF for $239.  Other websites have this anywhere from $400 - $700.  I am guessing it is last year's model (or older?).  Anyone own one of these?  Opinions/comments?

http://www.humminbird.com/Products/788ci-HD-Combo/

Amazon lists it as "Discontinued by Manufacturer" and cites a newer version available:

Humminbird 440440-1 688ci HD Internal GPS/Sonar Combo Fishfinder (Black) $304.99  .   I did not compare features between the two and the "newer version" number doesn't make sense.  Amazon is selling the 788 for $399 thru a partner vendor.    Sorry I have no experience with either.     

I had a Humminbird a generation or two earlier than the 788 model, and never had a problem with it.  It was indispensable as far as we were concerned.  

I now have a Helix 7 on the new Benny and recently downloaded the ChartSelect map of Bull Shoals Lake for $30, which I thought was fair, considering how much you pay for a region's worth of maps.  So far the Helix 7 has been awesome for us, and from the looks of the 788m, I'm pretty sure you'll like it.  We didn't get down or side imaging, but still got sonar and GPS, and I paid around $450 for the whole setup including a custom bracket that was made locally, and extra transducer cable.   I needed about 26 feet, and their units only come with 20.  Oh, well. 

PM me if you get it and you want tips/help with the install.
412731486.jpg

Back