Humminbird Helix 5 Depth Finder Installation

Tin Diesel

Reaction score
I'm going to be installing a new Helix 5 depth/fish finder on my 2007 2575 R/L tritoon, replacing the old Garmin 85. The boat is skinned underneath, and am wondering how to pull the cable. Has anybody done this?

The old Garmin cable is still in place, coming out of the upper structure of the port side pontoon at the stern. Looking from stern to forward through the very small opening, I think I can see it until it turns and disappears about at the point where it could run across to the console. I'm guessing its running between the transvers aluminum deck beams, covered by the skin

I'm wondering if I can tape/connect the new cable to the old one and pull it through from the stern to where it would come up through the console with all the other wires. Then I can connect it to the new Helix

This strikes me as having a low probability of success, and I'm wondering if anybody has any other ideas or experience. I'm really hoping I don't have to pull the skin off!!!!!!

Thanks.

You might consider taping a pull string to the old wire and pull it through, then use that string to pull the new transducer wiring back in.

On my boat, which has underskinning, I installed the cable using a fish tape. From the outside of the port tube, I could access the space between the tube and the deck, so from the point opposite the console I shoved the tape to the stern. Taped the cable to the tape, and pulled it forward.
Then, untapped the cable, went in to the console, and shoved the fish tape through the boot, and towards the port side where the transducer cable was dangling. Taped the cable to the fish tape, and pulled it back into the console. Very easy, and I had minimal experience fishing cables prior to that attempt.

Thanks! I'll hope to try that this weekend... I don't have the boat at the house right now, but I seem to remember that the "flashing" from the skin to the tube was a solid wall...

I'm going to find out in early summer when my new one arrives too. I have a hard time believing it is so sealed off that a wire can't be fished through. Might be a pain in the ... but there has to be a way! Be careful pulling wire like that and raking the wire across a sharp edge! If that does happen , the second time pulling it through will be easier with the practice round out of the way!!

I would also add that I would wrap the new wire in some split loom and either tape it all the way, or if you are worried about water getting in and not being able to get out, maybe every 6-8" put a round of tape on it. Since you can't secure it under there it will be moving around a lot and possibly chafing the wires.
Although I'm sure you already thought of that.

I hadn't. . Thanks

Back