Hydraulic Steering Question - Smooth or Jerky?

SnakeByte

Reaction score
Hey all,

Quick question about my hydraulic steering.  When I'm making turns, should the turning of the steering wheel feel smooth?

I know people have talked about the steering being hard if you don't have the power-assist hydraulic steering, but when I turn, it's very jerky.  I'm not sure how to explain it except that as I turn, there are spots (each 1/4 or 1/8 turn that are harder than others, resulting in an uneven turn of the steering wheel.

Sometimes, when I feel the jerkiness, if I turn back in the opposite direction it's smooth as glass.  Almost if turning away from "neutral" middle is jerky, but turning towards "neutral" middle is smooth.

Sorry if I'm not explaining clearly.

Thanks,
Jason 

Mine will feel a little "pulsey" at times. I eat my wheaties so completing the turn has never been an issue.

It shouldn't feel like that. You might have air in the system. I would get with your dealer. And make sure the helm pump and the steering cylinder on the motor both say Seastar. Ask me how I know that..............

Should be smooth turning both directions.  Suspect air in your system which needs purged.  Definitely a warranty thing.

I saw on Ship Shape last night an episode on steerindg and it is caused by low fliud . When the fluid is low it causes the metal pistons to corode and causes the pistons to stick or freeze up.

Also for a fraction of the cost to replace the unit  go to boatsteeringrebuilders.com  They can rebuild in 1-2 days turn around. :)

This is interesting, mine makes a thumping noise sometimes...  I'll check that I have seastar under the helm, but i'm wondering if I have low fluid also...

I don't have the Power Assisted, just the basic hydraulic. Thanks for the tips guys, I'll have the dealer check things out. Low fluid seems to be a likely culprit.

Back