Hydrofoils ???

Bigtop

Reaction score
Has anyone tried any type of hydrofoil to help with prop ventilation?

I have heard they do, but have not seen anything in this forum regarding this issue.

Surely someone has experimented with these.

Thanks in advance

Bigtop

I have no experiance with a hydrofoil. I have also heard they can help but IMHO they are just a bandaid that is hiding a problem. What is your setup ( motor position, prop etc. )? Under what circumstances are you experiancing ventilation? Maybe we can help.

My old pontoon, which is an I/O has a flat aluminum plate mounted on the anti cavitation plate. I was told the this came on the boat new, it is a 1995 Crest. I did take it off once when I serviced the outdrive and had ventilation issues which I never had with it on.

now, it is not shaped like any of the "whale tails" and did not try to lift the boat as they do.

Thanks guys, but I really am not having a "problem" with ventilation, just normal pontoon issues. This is when I turn hard pulling a tube and such. I am running a yamaha f115tlr with motor mounted bottom hole. I run two different props that I am trying to decide on. The first is the yamaha pontoon series 14x13 and a power tech 13.5x13. The yamaha does not ventilate as bad as the power tech and gives more slow speed control turning do to the larger prop surface but is a little slower than the power tech. I also can not trim this prop up as far. The power tech has more cup and rake which allows me to trim up higher getting the bow up out the water more in turn giving me a little more speed. Just was wandering if a hydrofoil might help normal ventilation issues.

Thanks again

Did you ever get a solution to reduce your ventilation, especially in cornering under loads (towing tubes)? I'm buying a new prop, and considering 4-blade vs. 3-blade to try and help. I'm curious of hydrofoils helped anyone with this issue.

No I did not. I have also not experienced with these either. Most people say they will not help so I gave up.

Back