I know the season isnt over but

MCSD12

Reaction score
I know the boating season is not over yet but I wanted to ask everyone what they do to winterize their Benningtons.

I have an I/O, so I know the engine block needs to be filled with anti- freeze and the cylinders fogged. Add sta-bil to the fuel. but what do you do with the boat?

Can it stay in the water on a lift? Will the ice crush the lift pontoons? Do you have to use a bubbler to protect the lift?

Do you shrink wrap your boat?

Do you pull it out of the water and take it to a dry storage?

Do you pull out the batteries and put them on a trickle charger all winter?

Last edited by a moderator:
I store mine at the dealer ,he has inside storage.They also take care of winterizing the motor  ,including changing the oil .They also pull the batteries .

Unless you use a bubbler ,I believe the ice would cause problems to your lift ,

Like Jack, we use our dealer, inside storage, batts pulled and trickle charged, fluids changed.

I would ask neighbors who have similar lifts what they do and I/O's are pretty much the same for winter as far as service. Our lake doesn't freeze so we don't have that problem.

In addition to running antifreeze through the block, adding Stabil and fogging the cylinders I also................have the oil and filter changed, the lower unit grease changed, the prop removed cleaned, splines cleaned and greased and prop reinstalled, change the fuel/water separator, and have all the fittings greased.......

I was at LOA last week, spent 2 nites there, first nite at 4 seasons resort second nite @ Bass & Baskets B&B, did the supper cruise on the Celebrity cruise liner tour boat and got stormed out the last 1/2 hour headed back to the dock.

Very beautiful country and lake but water temps are hotter than I like my bath water and way way too busy and too many people on and around the lake for me. We also went to Ha Ha Tonka Park and did some day hiking there, I think I lost 5 lbs sweating during that but was beautiful.

Last edited by a moderator:
Glad you enjoyed your stay. It depends on what part of the lake you are on how busy it is. We try to stay within the state park on the grand glaise arm for tubing, floating / coving. The main channel of the lake gets huge swells from all the cruisers. Haha Tonka is supposed to be a fun time for all but I have not made it down that far on the lake. I keep my boat at Kelly's Port at the 19MM and that is past the 34MM. It is pretty amazing that the main channel goes up to 74MM (I think) and then you have all the arms / coves off of that.

Put a long sleeve shirt on board. :p

Then again, it is so hot here that you all are having the last laugh.

Cheers, Steve

Put a long sleeve shirt on board. :p

Then again, it is so hot here that you all are having the last laugh.

Cheers, Steve
I bet your floor is hot... Lol

Back