I/O engine trouble, for a friend obviously! :)

BulldogsCadillac

Just some guy
Reaction score
Hey folks, a friend of mine is having an issue with her 2013 I / O. Here is what she sent me,

Alarm / engine light goes off on the boat / if you put boat in neutral and restart it everything is good for about another 20 minutes . One marine mechanic called and says it catalytic converter, another mechanic says no way boat doesn't have enough to hours . He thinks it's a voltage alarm as a pre warning and that when you shut the boat off and restart it resets . He says a catalytic converter would be a huge expense . Oil is fine / gauges show nothing unusual. Acts normal until alarm goes off . If you don't shut if off long enough and just go from neutral to gear /there is very little power . Shut boat off restart and all is good for about 15-20 mins . don't like when two different boat places give you two different opinions and leave me wondering who is right.

So, any ideas? I figure that they should be able to hook up to diagnostic and know why the alarm triggered. Unfortunately, the Bennington dealer is about 5.5 hours away, other mechanic is an hour away. Thanks

IMG_8377.jpg

Here's the gauge when alarm goes off.

Does she have a Mercruiser? If so check this out........... . Mercruiser engine Guardian system – A strategy used to protect the engine from conditions that could
damage the engine and leave the boater stranded. Various engine functions are
monitored and power is reduced accordingly to protect the engine if conditions warrant.
Guardian is activated for the following: Engine coolant high, Engine oil pressure low,
Engine speed high, Drive lubricant level low, Seawater pressure low, Battery voltage low,
Exhaust manifold temperature high (aluminum manifold only) On our boat this system was activated twice. When our lower unit fluid was low (alarm only) and when we had something blocking the seawater intake. (Alarm and the engine shutoff because insufficient water was getting through to cool the engine) The system worked exactly as designed. Shutting off the engine before any damage can occur. She might want to start with this basic system and go from there ...

I agree with the Big Kahuna!! My I/O had an alarm that drove me crazy, just the outdrive fluid was tick low, had a bad shift seal and leaked just enough to set the alarm off depending on how the boat was floating.

Last edited:
I appreciate the replies, one problem is that the boat stays at the dock all summer, (no lift) so checking certain things are not the easiest.

So hooking up to a computer would obviously be the easiest answer correct? Is there any difference in beeps (length/ # of) that would be any help?

The one thing which makes me question the heat aspect is wouldn't her temp gauge be reading significantly higher than it is?
Plus they turn it off for a short period, start again with no problem and it runs for another 20min before alarming again.

Do I/O's have the same little OBD2 computer connection as cars? (Sorry, I know nothing of i/o's!! Hehe) just wondering if my little bluetooth adapter and Torque app could tell me anything.

Edit also, for the out drive fluid, is there a reservoir, or is it the same as regular outboards?

Last edited:
Our outdrive has a reservoir and it has alarmed twice for low level but has not effected power.

Reservoir on top
I appreciate the replies, one problem is that the boat stays at the dock all summer, (no lift) so checking certain things are not the easiest.

So hooking up to a computer would obviously be the easiest answer correct? Is there any difference in beeps (length/ # of) that would be any help?

The one thing which makes me question the heat aspect is wouldn't her temp gauge be reading significantly higher than it is?
Plus they turn it off for a short period, start again with no problem and it runs for another 20min before alarming again.

Do I/O's have the same little OBD2 computer connection as cars? (Sorry, I know nothing of i/o's!! Hehe) just wondering if my little bluetooth adapter and Torque app could tell me anything.

Edit also, for the out drive fluid, is there a reservoir, or is it the same as regular outboards?[/QUOTE . Theres a clear Reservoir on the top.......

Last edited:
Don't know but I had a car Catalytic Converter fail at 2100 miles. Not even broke in.
Self inflicted: Used a gas additive that wasn't designed for Converter engines.
Dealer best bet. Good luck!

That problem seems a lot like a problem I had with a car long ago. It turned out to be a "fuel flow meter." Some sensor in the new world of computerized emissions stuff they fill the engines with these days.

Back