I/O or outboard

Duckgumbeaux

Reaction score
My daughter skied behind a 22 G with a 200 Yamaha. She hated the wake and thinks the I/O in the 23 R would be better for skiing. Does anyone have experience or advice. We have a Mastercraft Maristar and need some help deciding whether to sell the Mastercraft and Regency pontoon and getting one boat

The Mastercraft Maristar isn't the best skiing hull nor the best wake board hull, it's kind of a hybrid between the two and does a good job with both. I think I could make the statement that the Mastercraft you have will be much better than any pontoon for semi-serious skiing, its comparing apples to oranges.

My 2 cents...

Steve

We've had our I/O Bennington going on our 7th season and we've never had any complaints from anybody skiing/slaloming/wakeboarding behind our boat....................Now of course the wake is nothing compared to my father in law's Mastercraft X series boat but it works for us.............

I agree w/Steve............comparing a pontoon's wake to an actual ski boats wake for a serious skier is like night and day.........

Three round toons will throw out some strange wake to someone that's a water skiing perfectionist.  Throw in a I/O motor pod and it's even stranger.  If your daughter is such a discerning water skier, she really needs to stick with a dedicated inboard ski boat.

My cousin keeps a couple of SkiNautiques on our property, and they're used all the time for wake boarding and skiing.  They were not that expensive to buy used--$6K-$8K for perfectly decent older boats.  That's just the difference between powering a tritoon with a F150 and a SHO250 motor.

I was looking at a Malibu 23' Wakeboard boat at the gas station yesterday being pulled by a Mercedes SUV.  Most houses cost less than his two rigs.  No thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
With the popularity of surfing, the direct drive market is considerably softer than V drives. A dern nice ski boat can be had relatively inexpensively these days.

Back