I wonder if the boating industry is seeing these types of backlog numbers.

SEMPERFI8387

Reaction score
From what I have seen and heard ,I would say ,Yes .

The last time I was in my dealer, he told me I could probably get over what I paid for my now used boat. He then he showed me a 35+ order log for Bennington alone saying "there is going to be a lot of pissed off people soon" I said why? He said that those boats were scheduled to arrive end of July but got pushed back another 3 weeks. Now he's looking at mid to end of August, almost the end of the season by me.

So to answer your question, I'd say 100% yes.

Local news is running a couple of pieces here the last couple days with RV and boat dealers explaining to the public that all boats and RVs are gone, and you won't be able to get one till 2022 if even then. These are strange times.

I inquired yesterday about moving my dry rack cradle from one marina to another (requires a small "barge" to do it over water) and the contractor said 6 months lead time, for a 1 day job. For Myco Trailers to just build a new lift cradle, production is booked out to Feb/Mar. Tuff Marine posted that to get their 24' sport boat (small shop in Canada), they are booking for build slots in summer 2024. Axopar is sold out for at least the next year. And on and on. Unreal where all this money is even coming from ...

Mine will be virtually new after the remaining warranty work so I’d be curious to see what it would fetch. Definitely crazy times right now

I wonder the impact of all of this on repair work as well? Similar timelines? I would think it will be a similar impact.

My dealership says its having a similar impact on any kind of repairs (warranty or insurance related) that they are involved in. - including my own. They say there just isn’t consistent or reliable inventory on random but necessarily parts and components to complete work.

But heck, my dealership still hasn’t determined “what” caused my near electrical fire throughout parts of the boat. Thus, they haven’t even filed a claim (insurance or warranty) yet because it’s unclear which one it is, even though they assure me ”A tech is working on getting to the bottom of it. We’ll keep you posted as soon as we know something.”.

Thus, I have their delays in even diagnosing the problem, let alone then finding out if they can fix it this season with part inventories as they are. It is all around frustrating and disheartening as I type this while looking out my window at my empty dock. Grrrr….

My floor is going to be replaced. Started conversations with the dealer in February (they’ve been great and so has Bennington) to get some issues fixed but the flooring work portion is still an unknown when it will take place. I know they are slammed so I’m being patient but 4 months and no timeline is a bummer. This is where brand reputation is valuable as I know it will be taken care of eventually. I wouldn’t be as confident with other manufacturers etc. hopefully they ramp up staff or come up with a solution that meets the new boat demands but also the responsibility to existing owners.

The last time I was in my dealer, he told me I could probably get over what I paid for my now used boat. He then he showed me a 35+ order log for Bennington alone saying "there is going to be a lot of pissed off people soon" I said why? He said that those boats were scheduled to arrive end of July but got pushed back another 3 weeks. Now he's looking at mid to end of August, almost the end of the season by me.

So to answer your question, I'd say 100% yes.
Sold my 2013 SLX for $1500 less than I paid for it in 2013 in 2 days!

Actually loved it and will get another! We joined a pontoon club and everyone had newer boats, not that this was the only reason, but were using it more. It had carpet that was always wet, the cup holders on the table were too small for my yeti 32 oz cup, it was 8 years old and someone wanted to pay me a lot of money for it. For the 2 of us we will probably go down to a 20. Also Florida get hurricanes in the summer so to be boatless for awhile is OK. Can do other stuff, like kayaking, sailing and biking.

My floor is going to be replaced. Started conversations with the dealer in February (they’ve been great and so has Bennington) to get some issues fixed but the flooring work portion is still an unknown when it will take place. I know they are slammed so I’m being patient but 4 months and no timeline is a bummer. This is where brand reputation is valuable as I know it will be taken care of eventually. I wouldn’t be as confident with other manufacturers etc. hopefully they ramp up staff or come up with a solution that meets the new boat demands but also the responsibility to existing owners.
What happened to your floor? Is it just old?

Not old, my subfloor seams are lifting so I have ridges throughout.
D1D4F855-C0E2-455C-A832-B46C8F71C26E.jpeg

Attachments

• 63F2B450-2BBC-4AD4-91AE-D1B457C855E6.jpeg
    63F2B450-2BBC-4AD4-91AE-D1B457C855E6.jpeg
    93.5 KB · Views: 11
  • 5FE3B572-4453-46D7-AE2B-992FAFE56F08.jpeg
    5FE3B572-4453-46D7-AE2B-992FAFE56F08.jpeg
    75.6 KB · Views: 11
Back