Increasing horsepower/increasing performance

ttuite

Reaction score
I presently have a 2005 1850XL with a Etec 50 HP engine.  120 hours on boat and motor.  18 knots with 2 people and 13 knots with 5.  I am considering a 2017 90 HP Etec.  I have some questions and I am looking for some opinions.

1.  Will I have to modify the boat in any way to swap out the engines?

2.  What kind of performance can I reasonably expect to get with the 90 HP?

3.  Would the boat have enough torque and speed to pull a skier? 

4.  Other than a cracked cowl (girlfriend went under a bridge and the Bimini came down and hit it, the engine runs great. I had the software updated right after I bought it.  What would a used engine sold by me be worth?

What is the max HP the boat is rated for? I don't know about a 90 on an 18' boat. Does the boat have strakes? You can go to NADA and look up what the motor is worth or look in boating classifieds.

1. Probably not, if the older controls will work with the newer motor you should be good.  

2.  Lots of variables there, it  should be faster. :)

3. More variables, skier weight and ability, prop specs, load in boat etc.

4. Your gonna have to look that up based on where you live.

ttuite

You will have to check the max power rating for the boat. If you can put a 90 hp on it you should see 26ish depending on tube condition. You will be able to pull skiers if you don't have to much weight on the boat. We had a 20' pontoon that we used to ski and other water sports for many years. Good luck.

Back